This delicious Lemon Pepper Baked Cod is so simple and quick to prepare with just a handful of spices and fifteen minutes time from start to finish. Eating healthy has never been more easy with this delicious cod recipe.
How to make Lemon Pepper Baked Cod
Start by brushing the cod filets with olive oil. Then combine the lemon pepper, Cajun seasoning, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl or zipper bag. Next sprinkle evenly over the filets. Then bake in a preheated oven for about ten minutes or until the fish flakes easily at it’s thickest point. Serve with fresh lemon wedges.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- If at all possible buy wild caught cod. They are not as susceptible to disease and illness as farm raised cod.
- Most fish is frozen and vacuum sealed. Thaw the fish overnight in the refrigerator in the vacuum sealed packaging. Do not refreeze fish that was previously frozen and thawed. Use the thawed fish within 1 – 2 days.
- This flavor packed cod is on the slightly spicy side. If your taste buds are sensitive cut back on the Cajun seasoning a little bit.
- It is important not to overcook fish as it can become dry and chewy. A general rule of thumb is 10 minutes per inch of thickness.
- For added flavor and moisture cook with lemon slices and serve with lemon wedges.
- Other fish substitutes for this recipe include haddock, pollack, grouper, and mahi mahi.
How to properly thaw fish
- The safest method is to thaw fish is in the refrigerator overnight. It is best left in it’s original vacuum seal packaging.
- If you waited to long and need to thaw more quickly. Place the fish in the vacuum sealed packaging in a bowl of cold water. Change the water every 30 minutes to ensure that it stays cold. If the fish was not vacuum sealed place it in a heavy duty zipper bag removing as much air as possible. Remove the fish from the cold water as soon as it is thawed and cook promptly. Store the thawed fish in the refrigerator while you are getting the rest of the ingredients together or preheating a grill.
- Do not thaw fish on the counter.
- Do not thaw fish in warm water.
- Do not refreeze fish that was previously frozen and thawed.
- If the fish was thawed in the refrigerate use within 1-2 days. If the fish was thawed using the cold bowl method listed above then cook promptly.
Other seafood recipes you will love!
- Air Fryer Shrimp
- Salmon Salad
- Shrimp Scampi
- Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Garlic Shrimp Stir Fry
Lemon Pepper Baked Cod
A deliciously simple Lemon Pepper Baked Cod that is on the table in less than 15 minutes. Enjoy this flavorful recipe with fresh roasted veggies or lemon rice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal fish
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cod filets (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cod filets on the baking sheet and brush with olive oil.
- Combine the lemon pepper, Cajun seasoning, salt, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl or zipper bag. Sprinkle evenly over the filets.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the fish flakes easily at it’s thickest point.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges.
Keywords: how to bake cod, oven baked cod, baked cod filets, how to cook cod in the oven