Mushroom Risotto is a creamy luscious Italian rice dish made with chicken broth and fresh mushrooms right on the stove top using a spoon and a little elbow grease. You too can make delicious recipes that the chefs in five star restaurants make. Be sure to read my tips below for helpful tips for creamy risotto. This delicious side goes with beef, chicken, pork or fish. I love to serve it with London Broil or Grilled Flank Steak.
You are going to love the creaminess of this easy to make risotto. Not to mention the mushrooms. Oh the mushrooms. I am nuts about mushrooms. Are you and yours mushroom lovers? Mushrooms are one of those vegetables that either you love or hate. I would think that you are probably a lover or you would not be looking at this post right now. Have you tried any of my other mushroom recipes? This recipe, Crab Stuffed Mushrooms, Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms with Bruschetta, and Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions are just a few of our favorite mushroom recipes.
How do you reheat Risotto?
Whether it is a Vegetable Risotto or a Chicken Risotto most risottos reheat very well in the microwave in short increments at a reduced power. Simply warm a little bit then stir in a few tablespoons of chicken broth until you achieve that same creamy texture that it had when it was first cooked. Can you say delicious?
How to make Mushroom Risotto
Start by cooking your mushrooms. In a large skillet over medium to medium high heat melt some butter and a little olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are golden brown stirring a couple of times. Remove from the heat.
Now add a little olive oil and butter to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for just a minute stirring frequently. Then add the Arborio rice and cook just until it starts to lightly brown stirring constantly. Next add the wine and cook until evaporated stirring constantly. Now add the warmed chicken broth about 1/3 to 1/2 cup at a time stirring and cooking until the liquid is evaporated after each addition of broth. Leave the last addition of chicken broth a little on the creamy side and not fully evaporated. Stir in the cooked mushrooms, Parmesan cheese and freshly chopped parsley.
Recipe Tips and Notes for making Mushroom Risotto
- I find it best to cook the mushrooms separately. That way they cook up golden brown and don’t interfere with the stirring of the rice.
- Always warm the chicken broth. I use the microwave to warm mine.
- The key to a good risotto is patience. A little bit of broth at a time and a lot of stirring. Don’t boil the risotto. Let it simmer away the liquid while you stir.
- You can use chicken broth or chicken stock.
- Do not cook the last addition of broth all the way. You want to leave it a little extra creamy as you add the mushrooms, Parmesan cheese and parsley.
- Please use freshly grated Parmesan Cheese. It is flavor packed and worth every red cent as my late mother used to say.
- This recipe requires your undivided attention and elbow grease so for Pete’s sake don’t stop stirring. The stirring step can take between 20-25 minutes.
- The risotto is done when it is every so slightly chewy (just a tad) and certainly not mushy.
Cook this creamy and luscious Mushroom Risotto made just a like a five star restaurant.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: side
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 1 cup Arborio Rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth (warmed)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium to medium high heat melt 2 tablespoons butter and heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are golden brown stirring a couple of times. Remove from the heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook for 1 minute stirring frequently. Add the Arborio rice and cook just until it starts to lightly brown stirring constantly; 3-4 minutes Add the wine and cook until evaporated stirring constantly.
- Add the warmed chicken broth about 1/3 to 1/2 cup at a time stirring and cooking until the liquid is evaporated after each addition of broth; this steps takes between 20-25 minutes. Do not cook the last addition of broth all the way as you want it creamy. Stir in the cooked mushrooms, Parmesan cheese and if desired freshly chopped parsley. Salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: how to make mushroom risotto, best mushroom risotto recipe, fresh mushroom risotto recipe