This delicious and easy lentil soup recipe brings onions, carrots, celery, garlic, tomatoes, and lentils together in a perfectly seasoned vegetables broth with fresh thyme. The end result is a tasty heart warming soup with plenty of nutrition that the whole family can enjoy.
This recipe is a hearty meal all by itself but for a classic weekend feast I like to serve it with Marinated Cucumbers and Red Onions and Garlic Hummus with fresh toasted pita slices. We are big soup lovers in this house. We eat and enjoy soup year round. As I always say it is a good things we have air conditioning. This soup is one of our favorites because it tastes so darn good, is quick and easy to fix, and it is full of an abundance of fresh vegetables, herbs and legumes.
How to make Lentil Soup
Start cooking the onions, celery, and carrots in a little vegetable oil in a large pot until the onions and celery soften. Then add garlic, cumin and paprika to the pot with the veggies cooking for about 1 minute stirring continually. Now add the vegetable broth, fire roasted tomatoes, and lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Then stir in fresh thyme, season with salt and pepper to taste, and if desired garnish with jalapeno rings.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- Use brown or green lentils. Do not use red lentils as they break down too fast when cooked.
- Go very light on the salt. As this soup has plenty of salt already from canned tomatoes
- For an aesthetically pleasing soup peel the carrots. They will have that gorgeous bright orange color.
- Try adding other herbs and spices like red pepper flakes, a spritz of lemon juice, or a little coriander.
- Other vegetables to add include spinach, kale, or sweet potatoes.
- If more protein is desired add browned sausage or cooked crisp bacon.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Or freeze in a heavy duty zipper freezer bag or freezer safe container for up to 4 months.
What are lentils
Lentils are the dried seeds of a lentil plant. They are legumes and closely related to beans, peas, and chickpeas. They grow in pods just like peas. However lentils are dried and packed liked dried beans making them ideal for soups. In fact you will find them in the same aisle as the dried beans in plastic bags. Don’t forget that with soup you want the brown or green lentils.
Other soup recipes you will love!
A quick and easy healthy vegan Lentil soup plump full of fresh garden vegetables, lentils, and fresh thyme all in a lightly seasoned vegetable broth. Fix a pot for your family today and enjoy some wholesome goodness.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 ⅓ cups green or brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Jalapeno rings (optional garnish)
- Fresh parsley (optional garnish)
- Heat vegetable oil in Dutch oven or large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots and cook until the onions and celery soften. Add the garlic, cumin, and paprika cooking for about 1 minute stirring continually.
- Add the vegetable broth, fire roasted tomatoes, and lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 25 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Then stir in the fresh thyme, season with salt and pepper to taste, and if desired garnish with jalapeno rings or fresh parsley.
Keywords: how to cook lentils soup, vegan lentil soup, lentil vegetable soup, vegan vegetable soup