This scrumptious Strawberry ice cream is made with heavy whipping cream, milk and fresh strawberries in your ice cream maker. This ice cream truly brings out the best that strawberries and cream have to offer and it is one of our favorite summer treats. This along with Raspberry Ice Cream (No Churn) and Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream are our go to ice cream goodies.
Now what would summer be without a few batches of homemade ice cream? What better way to celebrate it than with fresh sun ripened strawberries. Maybe you even have your own patch of these delicious berries. Whether you eat it on a cone or spoon it from a dish it makes those hot summer days that much more enjoyable.
How do you make Strawberry Ice Cream
First split the strawberries in half. Next puree half of the strawberries in a blender. Add enough of the milk in the recipe to get it whirling. Now slice the rest of the strawberries and place them in a large wide based bowl. Sprinkle the sugar over the top and let them sit for a while so they become soft and juicy. Once they are nice and juicy smash them with an old fashioned potato masher.
Add the pureed strawberries, the heavy cream, the rest of the milk and vanilla extract to the bowl with the mashed strawberries. Stir it all together and pour into the freezer bowl of your ice cream maker. Follow the instructions for your ice cream maker. Make sure you check the ice cream after about 35 minutes to see if it is ready as you can over mix ice cream. It is ready when it is soft serve texture.
Tips for making Strawberry Ice Cream
- Make sure you have the supplies for your ice cream maker. Most ice cream makers require ice cream rock salt and crushed ice.
- I always have frozen strawberries in my freezer for my husband’s protein shakes. If you have them use them for the puree portion of this recipe I really think that frozen strawberries are sweeter than fresh as they are allowed to sweeten on the vine since they will be quickly flash frozen.
- For the sliced/smashed strawberry portion of this recipe use fresh sun-ripened organic sweet strawberries.
- Let the sugar sit on the sliced strawberries for 30-40 minutes before mashing them.
- Heavy whipping cream and whole milk work best with this recipe.
- Check on the ice cream after 35 minutes of churning. Over churning can produce an icy texture versus a creamy texture.
Strawberry Ice Cream flavor variations
- Chocolate Strawberry – add 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips to the ice cream mixture during the last ten minutes or so of churning.
- Strawberry Banana – instead of pureeing strawberries or frozen strawberries puree 2-3 bananas and the proceed with the rest of the recipe.
- Strawberry Lemonade – add the zest and juice of one lemon at the same time that you add the other ingredients to the bowl and omit the vanilla.
Other strawberry recipes you will love!
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie
- Strawberry Sauce
- Strawberry Truffles
- Strawberry Poke Cake
Strawberry Ice Cream
An easy family friendly five ingredient creamy Strawberry Ice Cream that is finished in an ice cream maker. You are going to love the little bits of sweetened smashed strawberries mixed in.
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: ice cream churn
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries hulled with half sliced and half whole (see notes)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Puree the whole strawberries (frozen if you have them) in a blender; add enough of the milk in the recipe to get it whirling. Place the sliced strawberries in a large wide based bowl; sprinkle the sugar over them. Let them sit for 30-40 minutes. Smash them with an old fashioned potato masher.
- In the same bowl that you mashed the strawberries in add the pureed strawberries, the heavy cream, the rest of the milk and vanilla extract. Stir it all together and pour into the freezer bowl of the ice cream maker. Follow the instructions for your ice cream maker. Check the ice cream after 35 minutes to see if it is ready. It is ready when it is soft serve texture.
- If you keep frozen strawberries in the house use them for the pureed portion of the recipe.
Keywords: best strawberry ice cream, homemade strawberry ice cream, how to make strawberry ice cream