Well tomorrow is the first official day of summer and they say it is going to feel a lot like summer around here. I am sure that means hot, steamy and sticky. Well if it did not feel like that we would not appreciate all the pools, rivers, lakes and streams. Summer definitely has lots of benefits that make us temporarily forget the “It’s so hot I could cook and egg on the sidewalk” hot.
I decided yesterday that I had my temporary fill of summer recipes like pasta salads and fruit salads so I decided to cook a nonseasonal recipe. You remember those don’t you? The ones that can be cooked and loved anytime of the year! This Broccoli and Cauliflower Au Gratin is as fabulous whether it is hot steamy and sticky outside or whether there are twelve inches of snow on the ground.
Have you tried any of my other broccoli and cauliflower recipes? Roasted Broccoli Cauliflower Potato Soup, Healthy Cauliflower Salad with a Mustard Vinaigrette and Broccoli Bacon Cheddar Twice Baked Potatoes are just a few of my favorites. Broccoli and Cauliflower Au Gratin combines roasted broccoli and cauliflower in a heavenly creamy cheddar cheese sauce. It is lightly sprinkled with a super easy crumb topping and baked to golden perfection.
Every delicious bite is a sweet creamy taste experience. I made this dish many times and it goes like hot cakes. Speaking of hot cakes have you tried my Buttermilk Bacon Pancakes? Oh my goodness! Sorry got a little side tracked there. Food runs through my mind constantly!!
Broccoli and Cauliflower Au Gratin is so amazing, easy to prepare, dependable and loved by multiple generations. Put this great recipe on this weeks list to try. You will be so pleased and happy that you did.
Broccoli and Cauliflower Au Gratin
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cups shredded white cheddar
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 14 Ritz crackers
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray large baking dish with nonstick baking spray. Add broccoli and cauliflower and bake 15 or until very lightly browned.
- In large skillet over medium heat melt butter. Add onion and cook for one minute. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Whisk in flour and cook for 90 seconds whisking constantly. Slowly whisk in milk and chicken broth alternating between the two. Turn heat to low and add cheddar whisking frequently until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth and creamy. Whisk in nutmeg and salt & pepper to taste. Pour over roasted broccoli and cauliflower.
- In food processor crush crackers. Add oregano and onion powder and pulse a couple of times. Sprinkle over cheese sauce.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown.
Other amazing vegetable recipe you will love!