These sweet Creamed Peas with Pearl Onions combine peas and pearl onions into the creamiest classic quick side dish ever. With just seven ingredients and a few minutes you can have this comfort food on your table!
I am a believer that one can never have enough fall and winter vegetable recipes. Especially ones like these Creamed Peas. They are simply amazing. I think they are our new favorite family vegetable. It is a super simple recipe that includes seven ingredients and maybe twenty minutes of your time.
Health benefits to peas.
Are you a pea lover? Peas are low in fat but high in protein, fiber and micro nutrients. A cup of peas has less than 100 calories. . Did you know that because of peas strong anti-inflammatory properties they aid in the prevention of wrinkles, Alzheimer’s, arthritis, bronchitis, osteoporosis and candida. You can find other health benefits to peas at Real Food For Life!
Peas are usually one of those foods that people either love or hate. My husband is a huge pea lover. I am not a huge pea lover but I am most certainly in love with this recipe.
How to make Creamed Peas!!
They are so easy to make. First simply blanch your pearl onions in boiling water for one minute and then pinch the stem end and the pearl onion will pop out. In large skillet over medium low heat melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and continue whisking until mixture is a light golden brown.
Slowly whisk in the milk and continue cooking until mixture is slightly thickened. Add the peas and pearl onions and simmer. Finally salt and pepper to taste!
How do you like your Creamed Peas?
I personally don’t like them too thick however if you like them pretty thick than increase the butter and flour by a tablespoon. If you like them even thinner add extra tablespoons of milk (one at a time) until they are the desired thickness. Make sure you stir between each tablespoon of milk so you can see the correct thickness.
Ways to eat Creamed Peas with Pearl Onions.
There are so many delicious ways to eat these beauties!!
- Over mashed or baked potatoes
- Ladled over toasted sour dough bread
- Spooned over roasted or fried chicken
- With cornbread, corn fritters or corn muffins.
- Poured over turkey and stuffing
See what I mean. So if you like peas (or maybe you are married to someone who loves peas) than this recipe is right up your alley. Delay no longer! Get those ingredients down on your grocery list and you will be set to chow down on these before you know it.
Here are some more amazing vegetable recipes that you will love!
- Grilled Vegetable Salad
- Roasted Parmesan Green Beans
- Baked Eggplant Sticks
- Zucchini and Yellow Squash Au Gratin
- Cheesy Garlic Roasted Asparagus
This post was originally published October 4, 2017 and was republished October 19, 2018 with new content.Print
Creamed Peas and Pearl Onions
These Creamed Peas combine peas and fresh pearl onions into the creamiest classic quick side dish. It is a very easy recipe with seven ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Vegetable side dish
- Method: Stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 8 ounces fresh pearl onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups frozen baby peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice off the root ends on the pearl onions and drop into boiling water for about a minute. Drain and rinse with cold water. Pinch the stem end and a peeled onion will pop out. Set them aside.
- In large skillet over medium low heat melt butter. Whisk in flour and continue whisking until mixture is a light golden brown. Slowly whisk in milk and continue whisking until mixture thickens slightly; 2-3 minutes.
- Add peas and pearl onions (that were set aside). Simmer for 5-7 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
This dish tastes best served right away.
Keywords: COMFORT FOOD, CREAMED PEAS, CREAMED PEAS AND PEARL ONIONS, CREAMED PEAS AND PEARL ONIONS RECIPE, CREAMED PEAS RECIPE, CREAMED VEGETABLE, PEARL ONIONS, PEAS, SIDE, VEGETABLE