These Cream Cheese Wontons are filled with cream cheese, chicken, Pepper Jack and a perfect blend of spices. These bite size crispy treats are a little more economical than crab rangoon and a cinch to make. Are you planning a party? We aslo love to serve these Sweet Bacon Wrapped Chicken Bites and Quick and Creamy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms.
Well the entertaining season is upon us and there are so many things to get done at one time. No worries!! With easy delicious recipes like this you can get it all done. As a matter of fact these Pepper Jack Chicken Cream Cheese Wontons are so simple your tween could help you with them. You can prepare the filling ahead of time and with a simple 30 second lesson your tween or teen would be an expert wonton stuffer. Then you can keep multitasking all the while congratulating them on hitting yet another accomplishment in their life.
You don’t even have to break out the deep fryer. These Pepper Jack Chicken Cream Cheese Wontons are petite enough that about one inch of oil in a heavy stockpot will suffice. You will need to devote your complete attention when frying them so they don’t burn because they fry up golden brown in less than a minute. You can serve them with my Asian Dipping Sauce or spicy mustard.
How do you make Cream Cheese Wontons with Chicken and Pepper Jack?
In a large food processor add the cream cheese, Pepper Jack, garlic powder, onion powder, green onions and cooked chicken. Pulse just a few times until it combines. Then place one heaping teaspoon in the center of each wonton and pull up the sides and pinch. Lightly moisten fingers with cold water and pinch again. Press down gently on a plate to get their bottoms flat so they will stand up properly. Keep the extra wontons skins covered with a lightly moistened paper towel while you work. Repeat until all of the wontons are full. Cover filled wontons with lightly moistened paper towels while you are working and while heating the oil.
Heat about one inch of vegetable oil to three hundred seventy five degrees in a dutch oven or heavy skillet. A cast iron skillet works as well. Working in small batches fry the wontons for about one minute or until golden brown. Use tongs to brown on both sides if they fall over. Drain on paper towels. In a small bowl mix soy sauce, water, mirin and sesame oil. Serve warm wontons with sauce.
Can Cream Cheese Wontons be made ahead of time?
For best result prep them and flash freeze them. Put them on parchment covered cookie sheets in a single layer not touching. Once they are frozen, you can safely put them into a freezer zip-lock bag and they will not stick together. Don’t forget to line the cookie sheet, or the they will stick to the metal pan. This can be a done from a day to a few weeks in advance. Drop them into the oil frozen.
What are wontons and where can I purchase them?
Wonton skins are small square sheets of dough made from flour egg and water. Egg roll skins and potstickers skins are made out of the same dough. However egg roll skins are larger and potsticker skins are almost the same size as wontons skins except they are round.
Both wontons skins and egg roll skins can be purchased at most grocery stores including some Walmarts. Potstickers skins are more difficult to find. For this recipe you are in search of wonton skins.
Put these easy Cream Cheese Wontons with Chicken and Pepper Jack on your to try list. They are perfect for movie night, game day, neighborhood parties and holidays. Don’t fret my friends entertaining can be done in a jiffy and you will be so glad that you got to see your friends and family!!
Other appetizer recipes you will love!
- Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls
- Quick Southern Pimento Cheese
- Mini Bacon Cheeseburger Bites
- Cajun Butter Steak Bites
This post was originally published Dec 8, 2016 and was republished March 27, 2019 with new content and photos.
Pepper Jack Chicken Cream Cheese Wontons
These bite size crispy Pepper Jack Chicken Cream Cheese Wontons are a fabulous party appetizer and are so simple that even your tween can help.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 36 wontons 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 8 ounces cream cheese (1 box)
- 1 1/2 cups Pepper Jack cheese grated
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1 cup finely diced COOKED chicken
- 1 package wonton wrappers (12 ounce)
- Vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- In large food processor add cream cheese, Pepper Jack, garlic powder, onion powder, green onions and cooked chicken. Pulse just a few times; just enough to combine.
- Place heaping teaspoon in the center of each wonton and pull up sides and pinch. Lightly moisten fingers with cold water and pinch again. Press down gently on plate to get their bottoms flat (so they will stand up). Keep extra wontons skins covered with lightly moistened paper towel while you work. Repeat until all wontons are full. Cover filled wontons with lightly moistened paper towel while you are working and heating the oil.
- Heat about 1 inch of vegetable oil to 350 – 375 degrees in a heavy skillet. Working in small batches fry until golden brown; less than 1 minute. Use tongs to brown on both sides if they fall over. Drain on paper towels.
- In small bowl mix soy sauce, water, mirin and sesame oil. Serve warm wontons with sauce.
Keywords: pepper jack chicken cream cheese wontons, wontons, stuffed wontons, appetizer, stuffed appetizer, cream cheese stuffed wontons