These quick and creamy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are filled with fresh crab, cream cheese, bread crumbs, garlic and Parmesan making them the perfect appetizer. They are easy to prepare and delicious for your holiday entertaining.
Do you like mushrooms? I absolutely love them. As a matter of fact I don’t think I have ever met a mushroom that I did not like. But mushrooms are a lot like coconut and cilantro either you love it or you hate it. Stuffed mushrooms are simply amazing. The entertaining season is coming up and what better way is there to amaze your quests than with spectacular appetizers.
Do you like to entertain? I just love it. It is so much fun. I love the whole planning aspect of it. This time of the year is perfect for it. The weather is so nice that it makes outdoor entertaining so enjoyable. These Quick and Creamy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are the perfect party appetizer. They are quick to prep, quick to cook and can even be reheated in the microwave. My quests just rant and rave about them. I use fresh crab-meat but you don’t need a lot of it. You can even sub shrimp or do something really crazy like do a crab and shrimp combo. They bake in no time at all and are even perfect as a main entree with a simple tossed spring green salad with a light vinaigrette.
What is the best crab to use for Crab Stuffed Mushrooms.
I personally like Alaskan King Crab but it may be what I am used to here in the Midwest. Delicious, bright white meat, but it is slightly difficult to get out of the hard spiny shell. With a good pair of kitchen scissors it can be done.
Snow Crab would be a close second. Much easier to get out of the shell but also less available in my neck of the woods.
Ask any north-easterner and they will swear that these are best made with blue crab. I am not familiar enough with that crab to testify to that but my readers tell me all about it all the time. Unless you live near an ocean you may be limited in your crab choices.
How to make these quick and creamy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms.
First lightly spray the mushroom caps with olive oil. Mix together the cream cheese, bread crumbs, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, green onions, Parmesan, parsley and crab. Scoop the filling into the mushroom caps and bake for twenty minutes. Turn the broiler on the last minute of cooking to lightly brown the tops.
Helpful hints on making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- I got this hint from a reader. Precook your mushrooms for about 2-3 minutes. Turn upside down on a rack and allow to drain so they don’t drip when you bite into them.
- If you like things to pack a little punch than add a little bit of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper.
- I use the great big button mushrooms but for a party you certainly could use the smaller mushrooms and this recipe would go further. Just remember to reduce your cooking time by a few minutes for the smaller mushrooms.
- Use cooked crab meat and chop it up pretty fine.
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese is a must. It has much better flavored than the stuff in the canister so use it.
- Fresh bread crumbs are amazing in this recipe. You can always use croutons and crush them in a bag or a food processor. Most croutons have less preservatives and artificial ingredients than processed bread crumbs.
So what are you waiting for? These tasty gorgeous Crab Stuffed Mushrooms could be all yours in a matter of 30 minutes or less!!
Other appetizer recipes you will love!
This post was originally published September 2, 2017 and was republished November 26, 2018 with new content.Print
Quick and Creamy Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
These delicious Crab Stuffed Mushrooms are the perfect party appetizer or light supper>
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 12 large white button mushrooms cleaned with stems removed and discarded
- Olive oil spray
- 1 box (8 ounce) cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2–3 tablespoons fresh chopped Italian parsley
- 1 cup cooked shelled crab finely chopped (I use King Crab)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Lightly spray mushrooms with olive oil spray and arrange mushrooms cap side down on a cookie sheet. In a large bowl mix cream cheese, bread crumbs, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, green onions, Parmesan, parsley and crab.
- Scoop about 1 1/2 tablespoons of filling into each mushroom. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn the broiler on the last minute of cooking to lightly brown the tops. Stay close by as I have always found broilers unpredictable.
You can add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper for a little kick.
Keywords: crab stuffed mushrooms with cream cheese, stuffed mushrooms with crab meat, crab and cream cheese stuffed mushrooms