These scrumptious Garlic Lemon Butter Seared Scallops are honestly the best way to prepare scallops. I have tried other ways and they are good but no comparison to these delicacies. With just a handful of ingredients and a few minutes you can cook like a head chef.
Being born in Missouri it seems hard to believe that I was brought up on seafood. My family traveled frequently (did I mention how blessed I am) and I was introduced to some AMAZING seafood at an early age. Mahi mahi, bonefish, kingfish, marlin, tuna and snapper are all tasty fish that I was fortunate enough to partake. Tasty and tender scallops, shrimp, frog legs and clams were a common treat from southern Florida. Great seafood was a way of life for me and my siblings. It is no wonder that these gorgeous Garlic Lemon Butter Seared Scallops have found their way on to my blog. Not only are they beautiful but they taste like a little bit of heaven. Do you like seafood? Have you ever tried scallops?
What is a scallop?
Scallops are found in saltwater environments. They are free swimming mollusks that live in hinged shells. There are two different types of scallops and most people have an opinion on which tastes best but I like both. The larger ones are Atlantic sea scallops. They are found in shallow open waters and are harvested wild. The small bay scallops are found in the sea grass beds of harbors and bays along the Atlantic coastal waters.
How to sear scallops.
First and foremost make sure that the sea scallops are good and dry. Pat dry with paper towels and sprinkle with a pinch of salt right before searing. Use a mixture of oil and butter and get it good and hot, almost to smoking point. Add the scallops and sear 1 1/2 – 2 minutes on each side undisturbed. They should have a golden crust on each side. Do not overcrowd the pan so if it is necessary work in batches.
How to make Garlic Lemon Butter Seared Scallops
First sear the scallops. Please see above on How to sear scallops. Wipe out the skillet that you used to sear the scallops. Add butter to the skillet over low heat. Add the garlic and cook about one minute. Add a little bit of lemon juice and return scallops to the pan. Warm scallops for a minute turning several times to get them in the lemon butter. Sprinkle with parsley, salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
Helpful tips on making Garlic Lemon Butter Seared Scallops epic.
- If using frozen scallops they should be completed thawed.
- Let scallops rest for 5 minutes at room temperature.
- Make sure the scallops have been dried thoroughly.
- Scallops cook very quickly and become tough and chewy if overcooked.
- Scallops become opaque when cooked through
Do you love seafood but really are clueless on how to prepare it. No worries. I can handle the practice runs for you. Maybe you are an avid seafood lover just hoping to find a few new recipes that can get terrific tasting dishes on the table in short order. No worries. I got your back. These Garlic Lemon Butter Seared Scallops are all that and more.
Other seafood recipes you will love!
This post was originally published March 18, 2018 and was republished November 15, 2018 with new content.Print
Garlic Lemon Butter Seared Scallops
These scrumptious Garlic Lemon Butter Seared Scallops are honestly the best way to prepare scallops.You too can cook like a head chef.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2
- Category: seafood
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/4 lb sea scallops side muscle removed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Salt & pepper
- Pat the scallops dry with paper towels and sprinkle with a pinch of salt right before cooking.
- Add olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter to a large saute pan over medium high heat. Get the fat good and hot and almost to smoking point. Add scallops and sear for 1 1/2 -2 minutes on each side. They should have a golden crust on each side. Do not overcrowd the pan so if necessary cook in batches. As cooked remove to plate.
- Wipe out skillet. Add 2 tablespoons butter to same skillet over low heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant; about 1 minute. Add lemon juice and return scallops to pan. Warm scallops for 1-2 minutes; turning several times to get them in the lemon butter. Sprinkle with parsley, salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.
If using frozen scallops they should be completed thawed.
Let scallops rest for 5 minutes at room temperature.
Make sure the scallops have been dried thoroughly.
Scallops cook very quickly and become tough and chewy if overcooked.
Scallops become opaque when cooked through
Keywords: lemon butter scallops, scallops, garlic butter scallops, seared scallops, seafood