This Shrimp Fried Rice recipes comes together in less than thirty minutes and tastes so much better than takeout. I love to serve it with Sweet Pork Dumplings and Crab Rangoon. Be sure to read my helpful tips on making this recipe.
My family just loves stir fry. Now make it fried rice with shrimp and we are in heaven. Stir fry is not difficult at all and with a few tips, it can be mastered by anyone. This shrimp fried rice recipe moves fast so it really needs your full attention. Now is not the time to fold laundry or call your bookie! You can prepare this fried rice in a wok or just a large heavy skillet that can handle the heat.
There is one thing that really needs to be done one to two days in advance and that is cook your rice and store it in the fridge so it can get really cold and dry. Leftover Chinese takeout rice is perfect for this and they always give you more than you need. When properly stored in an airtight container cooked white rice can last for several days.
How do you make Shrimp Fried Rice at home?
Start by prepping those shrimp. Peel them, remove the tails and devein them. Dry them real well and sprinkle them on both sides with just a little bit of Chinese Five Spice. It adds nice flavor and beautiful color to the cooked shrimp.
Now grab that skillet and heat about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil over medium-high heat. Once it is good and hot, add the shrimp and cook for about 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate, cover and keep warm. Now add a little more canola and sesame oil. Now add the chopped carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring several times. Add the peas and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring once or twice. Finally, add the garlic, ginger and green onions, cooking for 30 seconds. Push the veggies to the side of the pan and add the eggs and cook to scramble. Remove all of that to a plate, cover and keep warm.
Now add the cold rice to the pan in an even layer over medium-high heat. Drizzle as evenly as possible with soy sauce. Sprinkle with a little bit of fresh cracked pepper. Cook the rice undisturbed for about 1 1/2 minutes then flip and cook for another 1 1/2 minutes. I work in three small batches with no more than 1 1/2 cups per batch. Place the cooked rice in a bowl as you finish it. Once finished, add everything back to the skillet and heat it up on low for just a minute or so. Don’t go too long as you don’t want the shrimp overcooked.
Helpful tips for making homemade Fried Rice:
- Everything moves really fast with stir fry so be prepared. Have everything you need close by and in some kind of cooking order.
- You don’t have to use Chinese Five Spice, but it is delicious. You can use the spice to make my Chinese Five Spice Ribs.
- For best results, use rice that has been previously cooked and well chilled. Fresh rice has a lot of moisture in it and it will stick and clump.
- Don’t sweat perfection on this. Stir fry has room for slight errors in cooking time and is supposed to be fun.
- The rice will crackle, sizzle and pop when placed in the hot skillet and fried. That is exactly what is supposed to do.
- If you want to add a different vegetable in there, for goodness sake, add it! Finely chopped broccoli can be added at the same time as the carrots. Add frozen or canned corn at the same time as the peas.
So what are you waiting for? I know you are going to love this homemade shrimp fried rice! Make you and your loved ones a real special wholesome dinner that you can feel good about. They will be singing your praises!
Other shrimp recipes you will love!
- Bang Bang Shrimp
- Garlic Butter Shrimp
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail (Cóctel de Camarónes)
- Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Chili Sauce
- Spicy Grilled Peel and Eat Shrimp
Shrimp Fried Rice
This easy Shrimp Fried Rice is lightly seasoned with ginger and garlic and full of carrots, peas, green onions, and fresh shrimp. Make this delicious, better-than-takeout fried rice at home for a simple and delicious dinner!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal shrimp
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Asian
- 1 pound medium-large fresh shrimp 21-25 count peeled, tails removed and deveined
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice (optional but recommended)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 large carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups frozen peas
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 3 green onions chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 4 cups cooked rice chilled
- 3–5 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Sprinkle dried shrimp on both sides lightly with Chinese Five Spice.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon sesame oil in heavy skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add shrimp and cook until pink flipping halfway through the cooking process; approximately 1-1 1/2 minutes per side. If necessary work in batches. Plate, cover and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon sesame oil in heavy skillet or work over medium high heat. Add chopped carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes; stirring several times. Add peas and cook for 1-2 minutes; stirring a couple of times. Add garlic, ginger and green onions; cooking for 30 seconds. Push the veggies to the side of the pan. Add eggs and cook to scramble. Remove all of that to a plate, cover and keep warm.
- Add 1-1 1/2 cups cold rice to skillet over medium high heat in even layer. Sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce. Cook undisturbed for 2-3 minutes; flipping halfway through the cooking process. Work in batches, plating, covering and keeping warm after each batch.
- Bring everything back to the skillet and heat on low for about 1-1 1/2 minutes stirring several times. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: best shrimp fried rice recipe, Chinese shrimp fried rice, easy shrimp fried rice rice, fried rice, homemade shrimp fried rice, fried rice, homemade shrimp fried rice, how do you make shrimp fried rice, how to cook shrimp fried rice, how to make shrimp fried rice, shrimp, shrimp fried rice, shrimp fried rice recipe, shrimp recipe, shrimp stir fry recipe, shrimp stir fry with rice