Shrimp toasts are fresh chopped shrimp, onion, celery and garlic all nested in a luscious sauce made from cream cheese, Parmesan and Fontina cheese with just a hint of Cajun spice. They are fabulous for entertaining and I love to serve them with Mini Quiche and Toasted Ravioli.
With the right recipes entertaining can be quite fun and rewarding. I mean honestly who doesn’t love people bragging about what a great cook they are. These Shrimp Toast are a take off on the Chinese Fried Shrimp Toast only they are baked and they have a Cajun twist to them. They are flavor packed and extremely easy to make. My friends and family just love them.
How do you make Shrimp Toast?
Start by toasting the baguette slices under the broiler on low for 3-5 minutes each side or until lightly browned. Now grab a skillet and heat just a little bit of olive oil over medium heat. Add the shrimp, onion and celery while stirring frequently. After 1 minute add the garlic, pepper and Cajun seasoning while stirring constantly.
Turn the heat as low as it will go and add the cream cheese, Parmesan and Fontina cheese. Stir until the cheese is blended and almost fully melted. Now top the toasted baguette slices evenly with the shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and place in the oven for about 10 minutes or until they are lightly browned and bubbly. For best results serve immediately.
Helpful tips for making Shrimp Toast
- Broilers are very unpredictable so if at all possible turn it on low. Use my cooking times only as a reference and check on the baguette slices frequently.
- Buy good quality wild caught shrimp if possible. You can purchase either fresh or frozen. However if frozen plan ahead by thawing in the refrigerator or in a plastic seal bag that is dunked in very cold water.
- To peel the shrimp simply pull on the legs and the shell will begin to peel away. Now take a small pairing knife and make a shallow cut down the center of the shrimps back to the top edge of where the tail was. To remove the black intestine run the cool water over the back of the shrimp and rub so the vein will rinse out easily.
- This recipe moves very quickly and it is essential that you keep up so the shrimp are not over cooked. Therefore have everything close by including the seasonings, cubed cream cheese and shaved Fontina and Parmesan cheese.
- If you can not find shaved Fontina and Parmesan simply shave what you need off a block with a vegetable peeler.
Other appetizers you will love!
- Triple Cheese and Rotisserie Chicken Nachos
- Chicken Quesadilla
- Shrimp Poor Boy Sliders
- Quick Southern Pimento Cheese
- Stuffed Mushrooms with Spinach and Cheese
Baked Shrimp Toast
Delicious toasted french bread bites topped with shrimp in a rich creamy cheese that is seasoned with a hint of Cajun spice and baked until lightly browned and bubbly.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 toasts 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: stove top/bake
- Cuisine: southern
- 1 small french baquette cut in 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb shrimp peeled, deveined and minced
- 1/2 small onion finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut in small cubes
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shaved Fontina cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Turn broiler on low. Put bread slices on baking sheet in single layer. Place under the broiler for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn slices over and put back under the broiler to lightly brown the other side.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp, onion and celery. Cook for 1 minute stirring frequently. Add the garlic and sprinkle the skillet with the Cajun seasoning and black pepper. Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. Reduce heat to very low. Add cream cheese, Parmesan and Fontina. Stir until the cheese is blended and almost fully melted.
- Top the toasted baguette slices evenly with the shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and place in 400 degree oven for 10 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Serve immediately.
- Broilers are very unpredictable so please use my times for the toasting the baguette slices as an estimate.
- For even more browning turn on the broiler the last minute of baking the shrimp toasts but keep in mind that parchment paper can catch on fire.
Keywords: baked shrimp toast, how to make shrimp toast, recipes using shrimp, shrimp appetizer, shrimp toast, shrimp toast appetizer recipe, shrimp toast recipe