This Apricot Chicken recipe cooks up tender chicken thighs in an easy flavorful apricot sauce made with five ingredients most of which you may already have on hand. This delectable recipe is all made in one easy skillet. It is a family favorite and I love to serve it with Oven Roasted Garlic and Parmesan Asparagus and Lemon Rice.
A good chicken recipe is always a treat but a great chicken recipe is worth its weight in gold. It comes together quite quickly and is really such a cinch to prepare that even the novice cook can handle it. This recipe works best with either bone in skin on chicken thighs or legs.
How do you make Apricot Chicken?
First in a large skillet over medium heat cook the chicken thighs on both sides until they are a nice golden brown. Then place them on plate and remove any excess grease from the skillet except for about one tablespoon.
Over low heat add the garlic and ginger. Cook for about one minute stirring constantly. Now add the apricot preserves, soy sauce, ketchup and crushed red pepper. Whisk to combine while simmering over low heat. Add the chicken thighs back to the skillet and spoon the sauce over the chicken. Finally simmer loosely covered for about 30-40 minutes checking on it frequently to make sure you do not have the heat too high. If the sauce becomes to thick add 1-2 tablespoons of water. Sprinkle with sliced green onions and if desired more crushed red pepper.
Helpful tips for making Apricot Chicken
- This recipe is best with skin on bone in chicken thighs or legs.
- Use a large non-stick skillet for ease in browning the chicken and for cleanup.
- Don’t be afraid to the get the chicken skin crispy and golden brown. This may require several minutes and little bit of snapping, crackling and popping.
- Once the chicken is browned cover loosely with aluminum foil as you want the chicken to stay crispy.
- Simmer the sauce with the chicken in it over low heat loosely covered with a piece of aluminum foil. Check on it several times to make sure the heat is not too high and to stir it a little bit.
- If the sauce becomes to thick add 1-2 tablespoons of water.
More chicken recipes you will love!
Skillet Apricot Chicken
A family friendly chicken recipe made with a little bit of an Asian flare. Sweet apricot preserves are combined with garlic, soy sauce and ginger creating a mouthwatering glaze.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal chicken
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 2 lbs chicken thighs (bone in skin on)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 pinches crushed red pepper
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- Heat oil in skillet over medium/medium high heat. Cook chicken thighs until golden brown on both sides. Place on plate and cover loosely.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the skillet. Turn heat to low. Add garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 minute; stirring constantly. Add apricot preserves, soy sauce, ketchup and crushed red pepper. Whisk to combine while simmering over low heat. Add chicken thighs back to the skillet and spoon the sauce over the chicken.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until tender. Check on the dish frequently; stirring the sauce several times. Sprinkle with green onions and serve promptly.
- If sauce becomes to thick add 1-2 tablespoons water.
Keywords: easy chicken recipes, one skillet chicken, how to make apricot chicken, chicken made with apricot preserves, apricot glazed chicken, apricot chicken thighs, apricot sauce for chicken, Chinese apricot chicken