This delicious easy Ham Salad is made with finely chopped ham, sweet onions, celery, pickles, dill weed, mayo and a little bit of mustard. This recipe is perfect for using up leftovers from holiday hams. It is best with a piece of good quality ham that has been cured and preferably smoked. A smoked ham has less moisture in it and that is key to a good ham salad.
I have loved ham salad since I was a little girl. It brings back such fond memories of good times with my family. It is so incredibly easy to make and can be enjoyed on fresh rolls, Hawaiian bread, pumpernickel, rye, crackers or even celery sticks for a low carbohydrate diet. The key to a good salad starts with the obvious a good ham. This will help ensure that that the mixture is top notch. I like to use my leftover Honey Ham from holiday dinners, or a good quality ham steak or even Boars Head Ham sold at most deli counters.
How do you make Ham Salad?
Start by chopping up the onion, celery and pickles! Next scoop into a bowl. Cut ham into small sections and pulse in food processor scooping into bowl as well. Next add the mayo, mustard, pickle juice and dill. Stir gently blending just until combined. If serving as a sandwich I like to toast the bread or rolls I am putting it on with a little bit of butter.
Tips for making easy Ham Salad
- Use good quality cured smoked ham as it is the star of the show.
- You can use bread and butter pickles, dill pickles or sweet pickles. They all work well! It is just more a matter of preference.
- I love Duke’s Real Mayonnaise with this recipe. It is creamy, thick and flavorful.
- If despite your best efforts to buy good quality ham and it puts off too much moisture carefully drain the excess moisture and add a few more tablespoons of mayo. This may happen after being stored in the fridge for a couple of days.
More ham recipes you will love!
- Ham Steak with Honey Mustard Glaze
- Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
- Ham and Swiss Sliders
- Ham Swiss Parmesan Crescents
This post was originally published on April 11, 2016 and was republished February 11, 2020 with new content.Print
Easy Ham Salad
An old fashioned easy delectable ham salad with onions, celery, pickles and mayo. A nostalgically fun recipe that will bring back great memories and good times.
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: main meal ham
- Method: no bake
- Cuisine: southern
- 1 1/4 lbs smoked ham
- 2/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups chopped bread and butter pickles
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup mayo
- 1 tablespoons pickle juice
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 6 delectable sweet buns (optional)
- 2 tablespoons butter melted (optional)
- Cut ham into small sections and pulse in food processor 6-7 times or until desired consistency. Place in large bowl. Add onion, pickles, mustard, celery, mayo, pickle juice and dill. Stir until combined.
- Brush buns with butter. Toast under broiler until lightly browned. Split ham salad between rolls.
Keywords: ham salad, how to make ham salad, ham salad sandwich, best ham salad, homemade ham salad