Tomato Bisque is a one pot delicious creamy tomato soup made in less than one hour. It is perfect served with Caprese Grilled Cheese or Italian Chopped Salad with Fresh Italian Dressing. It is kid friendly and leftover soup heats up well in the microwave or on the stove top.
If your family is anything like mine than soup is a welcome meal. This amazing soup comes together quickly and can even be made from fresh garden tomatoes although in this neck of the woods that is not always possible. This is one of my favorite soups. Of course I absolutely love tomatoes!
How do you make Tomato Bisque?
Heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil in heavy stockpot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook until the onions start to soften. Reduce heat to low and stir in garlic, onion powder, paprika and ground cayenne pepper. Pour in low sodium chicken broth, and crushed tomatoes. Simmer for about forty five minutes or until vegetables are super tender.
Using immersion blender mix the ingredients until smooth and creamy. Stir in the cream and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for about ten minutes. Swirl a tablespoon of cream on to the top of each bowl and swirl with a toothpick. Top with basil ribbons and serve immediately.
What do you serve with Tomato Bisque Soup?
Oh my heavens the possibilities are endless but here are a few of my favorites!
- Mozzarella grilled cheese or any grilled cheese for that matter
- Simple tossed salad with a light vinaigrette
- Lemon pepper baked chicken
- Cheese and mushroom quesadilla
- Grilled burger topped with mozzarella or swiss
- BLT sandwich
- Philly cheesesteak sandwiches
Helpful hints for making Tomato Bisque
- When possible use fresh roasted sun kissed tomatoes because they add so much dimension and flavor.
- If using canned tomatoes purchase a top quality brand like Cento San Marzano or Muir Glen.
- Use low sodium chicken broth as canned tomatoes are high in sodium. You can always add more salt at the end of the recipe.
- Simmer until the veggies are really soft. This will make it much easier to blend.
- If you do not have an immersion blender you can use a blender just make sure that you remove the center cap on the lid to release any steam.
- Don’t skip the drizzled cream at the end. Simply make a circle with the cream and using a toothpick swirl through it making an S or 8 shape.
How do I roast my own tomatoes for Tomato Bisque?
There is nothing better than a scrumptious sun kissed tomato. You can easily adapt this recipe to fresh summer tomatoes. Plum or Roma tomatoes are the best for this Tomato Bisque because they are meatier and have fewer seeds. Slice plum or Roma tomatoes in half. Spread in single layer cut side up on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and generously salt and pepper. Roast at 400 degrees for 30 minutes; or until soft but still holding their shape. Add the roasted tomatoes and any juice on the baking sheet at the same time in the recipe as you would the crushed tomatoes. They will add great dimension and flavor to the bisque.
This Tomato Bisque is easy, dependable and oh so delicious! Put the ingredients on your shopping list today and make your family a wholesome flavor packed treat.
Other soup recipes you will love!!Print
Tomato Bisque is a one pot delicious creamy tomato soup made in less than one hour. It is kid friendly and leftovers heat up well.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 (32 ounce) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh basil ribbons
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in heavy stockpot or dutch over medium heat. Add onions and celery and cook until the onions start to soften; approximately 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in garlic, onion powder, paprika and ground cayenne pepper; cook for 1 minute. Pour in low sodium chicken broth, crushed tomatoes and brown sugar. Simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- Using immersion blender mix the ingredients until smooth and creamy. Stir in 1/2 cup cream until incorporated. Salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes. Pour about 1 1/3 tablespoons of cream in a circle on the top of each bowl and swirl with a toothpick. Top with basil ribbons and serve immediately.
Keywords: bisque, creamy tomato soup, creamy bisque, soup, tomato soup