Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese is a delectable combination of baked cream cheese filled jalapenos, gooey cheddar, Monterey Jack cheese, and crispy bacon. It is sandwiched between two slices of thick hearty white bread and grilled to perfection.
Do you like grilled cheese? I absolutely love them. Grilled cheese is the ultimate comfort food. In fact it is a tough contender even against mac n cheese. Although you do have to like a little heat to partake in this beauty. If picked properly jalapenos can be very flavorful with relatively mild heat. Please be sure to read my section on choosing the right jalapenos.
How do you make Jalapeno Grilled Cheese?
First using plastic food handling gloves (or even plastic sandwich bags) cut the jalapenos in half and remove the seeds and membranes. Stuff each half with a little mound of cream cheese. Now place them on a cookie sheet and bake until the peppers are semi soft, the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
Place one slice each of cheddar cheese on two bread slices. Place one slice each of Monterey Jack on two bread slices Each sandwich will have both kinds of cheese. Slice the cooked stuffed jalapenos into bite size pieces. Divide the jalapeno slices between the two slices of bread with cheddar. Add the four slices of bacon to the slices of bread with Monetery Jack. If desired add chopped cilantro to one side. Combine the slices of bread to form 2 sandwiches.
Top each sandwich with several pats of butter. Place in skillet over medium low heat butter side down. Top with more pats of butter. Now grill each side until lightly browned. Cheese should be melted and gooey.
How do you choose mild jalapenos for Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese?
With just a little patience and understanding you too can pick jalapenos that are flavorful yet mild. Look for the younger peppers that are smooth and green all over with no striations or blemishes. These young green peppers are less stressed and more mild. Stay away from peppers with white lines, flecks and red ones as these peppers are older and hotter. Take your time picking the peppers.
To further reduce the heat once cut in half use gloves and scoop out the veins and seeds. There is quite a bit of heat in those veins and seeds. If you like your jalapeno poppers hot leave the seeds and veins in or leave a portion of them.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- Use gloves to cut the peppers in half and remove the seeds. Wash hands thoroughly after working with these peppers as they can be a real irritant if you touch your face.
- A small amount of cream cheese mounded in the pepper works best. If too much is in there it will cook out.
- If you like your jalapeno poppers less soft drop the cooking time by ten minutes.
- Use good quality smoked nitrate free bacon.
- This sandwich is worthy of thick bakery style white bread, Italian bread or European Artisan Bread.
- Use excellent quality fairly thick slices of cheese as the cheese should be the star of the show.
This Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese is one of the best I have ever had or made. It truly is a work of art and prefect for those of you who like a lot of flavor and a little heat.
Other sandwich recipes you will love!
- Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Grilled Meatloaf Sandwich with Chipotle Ketchup
- Fried Egg Sandwich
- Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Meatball Subs
- Best Chili Cheese Dogs
This post was originally published April 12, 2015 and was republished March 23, 2019 with new content.Print
Jalapeno Popper Sandwich
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese is a delectable combination of baked cream cheese filled jalapenos, gooey cheddar, Monterey Jack cheese, and crispy bacon.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 sandwiches 1x
- Category: sandwich
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 2 Jalapenos sliced lengthwise seeds and membranes removed
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 slices bacon crispy cooked
- 2 slices monterey jack
- 2 slices sharp cheddar
- 4 slices Italian bread
- Cilantro chopped (optional)
- Pats of butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Stuff each jalapeno half with approximately 1 ounce of cream cheese. Bake stuffed jalapenos on cookie sheet for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Place 1 slice each cheddar cheese on 2 bread slices. Place 1 slice each Monterey Jack on 2 bread slices. Each sandwich will have both kinds of cheese. Slice the cooked stuffed jalapenos into bite size pieces. Divide the jalapeno slices between the 2 slices of bread with cheddar. Add the 4 slices bacon to the slices of bread with Monetery Jack. If desired add chopped cilantro to one side. Combine the slices of bread to form 2 sandwiches.
- Top each sandwich with several pats of butter. Place in skillet over medium low heat butter side down. Top with more pats of butter. Now grill each side until lightly browned. Cheese should be melted and gooey.
Keywords: jalapeno popper, grilled cheese, jalapeno popper recipe