Beef Vegetable Soup is made with tender chunks of slow simmered chuck roast with onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes and green beans. I love to serve this tasty soup with crusty baguettes or cornbread with soft sweet cream butter. This is a wholesome hearty fall and winter meal that you can feel good about serving your family.
Fall is right around the corner and with it comes all things soup, stew and chowder related. Oh have I mentioned this is my favorite time of the year. My idea of heaven is an endless fall. If you are like me than you just can not get enough fall recipes. Have you tried any of my other soups, chowders or stews? This recipe, Italian Wedding Soup, Chicken Stew, and Corn Chowder are just a few of our favorites.
You are going to really love this slow cooked hearty soup. I like to make this soup with a slow simmered chuck roast. It is more flavorful and tender than using stew meat or sirloin steak. Wholesome fresh vegetables are then added for optimum flavor and nutrition. Prepare to go down memory lane with a soup just as tasty as Grandma used to make.
How to make Vegetable Beef Soup
Start by browning the chuck roast in a Dutch oven or heavy stock pot. Then add some beef broth, fresh ground black pepper, and bay leaves. Let it simmer for about 2 1/2 hours or until it is fork tender.
Meanwhile in a separate Dutch oven or heavy stock pot heat a little canola oil over medium heat. Now add the onions, celery and carrots and cook until the onions and celery are tender. Then add the minced garlic, parsley, oregano, marjoram, thyme and basil. Cook for about 1 minute stirring constantly. Next add the remaining beef broth, potatoes, green beans, diced tomatoes and Worcestershire Sauce. Now spoon in about 1 1/2 cups of the broth that you cooked the chuck roast in being careful to discard the bay leaves. Simmer until everything is tender.
Remove the chuck roast from the pot and let it cool on a cutting board. Then shred it with two forks discarding the fat and the cartilage. Now add the shredded beef to the pot of soup and warm for a few minutes.
What cut of beef is best for Vegetable Beef Soup
I personally think chuck roast is the best for this soup because of its flavor and tenderness. Chuck roast has fat and cartilage and that is what makes to so tender after it is slow simmered. However you can also use stew meat or sirloin. Both of those cuts of beef can be cooked in the same Dutch oven as the soup. Simply brown the meat first then plate it. Then add it back when simmering the vegetables
You can also use ground beef. Simply brown it first then plate it. Remove excess fat from the pot before proceeding with the rest of the recipe. Add the cooked ground beef back when simmering the vegetables.
Recipe Notes and Tips for Vegetable Beef Soup
- Slow simmer the chuck roast until fork tender. Do not boil.
- Add about 1 1/2 cups of the broth that you cooked the chuck roast in back to the soup. It has a lot of fat in it so I don’t add the whole thing back. If you have the time for added flavor refrigerate the broth, skim off the fat and add it all back to the soup.
- If there is a vegetable that you do not like replace it with something that you do like. For instance replace the green beans with frozen peas however add them about 5 minutes prior to the soup being ready,
- Russet potatoes are great for baking and mashing but not for soups. Use Yukon Golds or red potatoes as they hold up very well in soups and stews.
- I like my soup chunky but if you don’t add more beef broth.
- Season with plenty of fresh ground pepper but go easy on the salt. Even low sodium beef broth has plenty of sodium in it.
- This soup freezes well for up to 3 months. See my section on freezing and reheating soup.
How to Freeze and Reheat Soup
- Start by cooling the soup. If hot soup is placed in the freezer it could potentially warm the freezer and cause other foods to start defrosting there by leaving them vulnerable to bacteria. For a quick cool down place the pot in an ice batch and stir to cool. However do not submerge it or allow any of the ice water into the soup pot.
- Ladle the cooled soup into quart or gallon size freezer bags. Be sure to mark the bags with the date and the contents. Keep in mind that liquids expand when frozen so leave about an inch at the top of the bag for expansion. On the flip side you don’t want it to get freezer burnt so remove any excess air.
- Lay them down in a single layer on cookie sheets in the freezer. Once fully frozen stack the bags in the freezer to save on space.
- Thaw in the fridge overnight. Reheat on the stove-top on low so as not to overcook any ingredients.
Vegetable Beef Soup
A slow simmered Vegetable Beef Soup with tender chunks of beef and wholesome fresh vegetables like carrots, potatoes, tomatoes and green beans.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: main meal soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3–4 lb chuck roast
- 7–8 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes diced
- 1/4 pound green beans trimmed and cut in 1 inch segments
- 1 can (14.5 ounce) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil in Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium to medium high heat. Add the chuck roast and sear to brown each side. Add about 3 cups beef broth (or enough to cover it), black pepper and bay leaves. Simmer for 2 1/2 – 3 hours or until fork tender.
- After the beef has simmered for about 2 hours heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in separate Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook 5-7 or until onions and celery are tender. Reduce heat to low and add garlic, parsley, oregano, marjoram, thyme and basil; cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Add 4 cups beef broth, potatoes, green beans, diced tomatoes, Worcestershire Sauce. Ladle in 1 1/2 cups of the broth that you cooked the chuck roast in being careful to discard the bay leaves. Simmer until the vegetables are tender; 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the chuck roast from the pot and let it cool on a cutting board. Shred it with 2 forks discarding the fat and the cartilage. Add the shredded beef to the pot and warm for 5 minutes.
Keywords: homemade vegetable beef soup, easy vegetable soup, best vegetable beef soup, how to make vegetable beef soup