These Crispy Potato skins are topped with smoked bacon, green onions, and plenty of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack Cheese. They are easy to prepare and so much better than the restaurants. This is one of our favorite go to appetizers and perfect for football season and entertaining. Be sure to read my tips and recipe notes for good crispy skins.
Fall will be here before we know it and with it comes lots and lots of great appetizers and finger food. These skins are perfect for game day, family movie night, or kids sleepovers. My husband and I just love to entertain and these appetizers, Bacon Wrapped Pineapple, Sausage Rolls, and Jalapeno Popper Cheese Ball are some of our favorites.
How to make Potato Skins
First scrub and dry your potatoes. Then using your hands rub them with a little canola oil. Next sprinkle with salt, place them on a baking sheet, and bake until they are cooked through. Let them sit and cool for a while.
Then cut them in half and scoop out the potatoes leaving about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of potato around the shell. Melt butter in microwave and stir in the garlic powder and onion powder. Brush both sides of the potatoes with the butter mixture. Place back on the same baking sheet and place in the oven until browned and crispy flipping halfway through.
Now evenly divide the cheese between the skins and top with the bacon. Pop them back in the oven for just few minutes or until the cheese is melted. Now top with sliced scallions and serve with a side of sour cream.
Recipe tips and notes for the best Potato Skins
- Use Russet Potatoes for this recipe as they will produce the crispiest potato skins.
- Don’t skip the canola oil and salt coating before baking. It really helps produce a nice crispy skin.
- Save the potatoes that you scoop out and use them in a side dish like Mashed Potato Cakes in the next couple of days.
- Brush both sides of the scooped out potatoes with the butter mixture and place back in the hot oven for extra crispy skins.
- You can substitute chives for the green onions.
- These potato skins are best served promptly however I have reheated them with success in both the oven and the microwave.
- For a party perfect presentation pipe a little bit of sour cream in each skin.
- Jalapeno Popper Potato Skins – top with shredded cheddar cheese, crisp bacon and thin jalapeno rings.
- Hawaiian Potato Skins – top with shredded mozzarella, cubed smoked ham, crisp bacon and pineapple tidbits.
- Taco Potato Skins – top with shredded cheddar, taco seasoned ground beef, Pico de Gallo, and sour cream.
You are going to love these extra crispy better than restaurant quality potato skins topped with cheddar, Monterey Jack, bacon and green onions.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour 25 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 6 small to medium Russet Potatoes
- 1 ½ tablespoons canola oil
- sea salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ cup finely shredded cheddar
- ½ cup finely shredded Monterey Jack
- 4 slices crispy cooked bacon chopped
- 1 green onion finely sliced
- sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Scrub, dry and poke the potatoes 8-10 times using the tines of a fork. Using your hands rub the potatoes with a little canola oil and sprinkle generously with salt. Place them on a baking sheet. Bake 50-60 minutes or until they are cooked through. Let them sit until cool enough to handle.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut potatoes in half lengthwise. Using a spoon scoop out the the insides leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch around the inside of the skin.
- Melt butter in microwave. Whisk in garlic powder and onion powder. Brush over the tops and bottoms of the potato skins. Using the same baking sheet that you cooked the potatoes on place in oven for 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Top evenly with both cheeses and bacon. Return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with green onions and sour cream (optional). Serve promptly.
Keywords: how to make potato skins, loaded potato skins, baked potato skins