Blueberry Buckle coffee cake is a buttery vanilla cake dotted with fresh blueberries and topped with a sweet cinnamon streusel topping. Enjoy this scrumptious delight for breakfast, dessert, or anytime of the day.
What is blueberry buckle?
It is a simply a vanilla butter coffee cake studded with plenty of big beautiful blueberries and topped with a streusel topping. It will keep for several days on the counter if wrapped tightly but trust me it won’t last that long because it tastes that good.
How to make Blueberry Buckle
Start by making the crumb topping. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon. Using a fork stir in the melted butter. Then continue stirring until coarse crumbs form. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator while you mix the cake.
In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder cinnamon, and salt. Now using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a hand mixer on medium in a large bowl beat the butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla until fluffy. Now reduce the speed to low or stir and add the flour mixture and the milk alternating between the two mixing just until combined. Remove from the mixer and gently fold in the blueberries.
Now spoon the batter into a greased 8×8 inch pan and sprinkle evenly with crumb topping. Bake in a preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Blueberry Buckle Recipe Notes
- Fresh blueberries work best as they don’t bleed like frozen. Gently fold them in to keep them from breaking.
- If using frozen berries do not thaw. Work with them frozen as it will help keep them from bleeding into the batter.
- Don’t overmix the streusel topping. Mix just until combined so you have some crumbs for the cake.
- It is best to refrigerate the crumb topping for 15 minutes so the mixture forms into crumbs more easily and spreads over the top with little effort.
- You can bake this cake in a 9×9 inch baking pan as well but the baking time will decrease by a few minutes.
- For best results let the cake cool for 30 minutes before slicing. This will make for nice clean slices and less seeping of blueberry juice from cut berries.
- Wrap well or place in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you live in a hot or humid climate cover and store in the refrigerator.
- For an over the top treat warm slices of buckle in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.
- Freeze double wrapped for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the microwave for about 30 seconds.
More blueberry recipes you will love!
Blueberry buckle coffee cake is a delicious vanilla butter cake loaded with plump blueberries and topped with a sweet cinnamon streusel topping. It is heavenly with juicy blueberries in every bite.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 9 servings 1x
- Category: breakfast/dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 ¾ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8×8 inch pan.
- In a small bowl whisk together the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon. Using a fork stir in the melted butter. Continue stirring until coarse crumbs form. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder cinnamon, and salt.
- In a large bowl using a stand or hand mixer on medium speed beat the butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla until fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture and the milk alternating between the two mixing just until combined. Remove from the mixer and gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and sprinkle evenly with the crumb topping. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing.
Keywords: blueberry buckle coffee cake, blueberry cake, old fashioned blueberry buckle cake