Scrumptious Brookies bring the best of both worlds together with a fudge brownie bottom and a chocolate chip cookie top. The end result is a heavenly chocolate cookie bar extravaganza guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth. I love to bring these to family reunions, potlucks, bake sales and neighbor shindigs.
These bars are one of our favorite treats. Everyone loves them and they are always one of the first to go at bake sales parties. These treats, Lemon Bars, Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, and Snickerdoodle Cookies are some of our favorites to make and bring for different events. Do you have a special treat that you bake?
What are Brookies
They are brownie cookie bars. They are made in two layers. One layer of fudgy brownies followed by a layer of traditional chocolate chip cookies. Or reverse it and put the cookie layer on the bottom and the brownie layer on the top. I personally find it easier to spread the brownie layer on the bottom and plop the cookie layer on by rounded tablespoons.
How to make Brookies
Start by preparing the brownie layer. In a medium bowl whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt. Next in another medium bowl stir together the sugar, melted butter, vanilla extract and egg. Now in several intervals add the dry mixture to the wet mixture mixing just until combined. Then spoon into a well greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish and spread out with a spatula.
Now prepare the cookie layer. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Next using a stand mixer or hand mixer beat the butter and sugars until light and creamy. Now reduce the speed and add the vanilla and egg beating just until incorporated. Then on low add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in several intervals beating just until incorporated. Finally stir in the chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto the brownie layer. Using an inverted spatula gently spread out the cookie mounds a little bit.
Bake in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until the top portion is golden brown. Add a small handful of chocolate chips to the top of the bars as soon as you remove them from the oven. The residual heat will melt them just a touch.
Recipe tips and notes for Brookies
- Do not over-bake these bars. You really can’t test the brownies with a toothpick if you want them to be a little fudgy. So remove them from the oven when the cookie portion is golden brown.
- Add a small handful of chocolate chips to the recipe as soon as you remove them from the oven. They will melt just a little bit and make a fabulous presentation.
- For a more cake like brownie layer increase to 2 eggs for that layer only.
- If you have difficulty spreading the brownie mix on the bottom layer simply grease your spatula.
- Drop the cookie layer on to the brownie layer by rounded tablespoons and carefully flatten just a little bit with an inverted spatula. But don’t get too carried away as you don’t want the layers mixing.
- Have plenty of milk on hand because these bars plus milk equals heaven.
Can you freeze Brookies?
Yes you most certainly can. Simply double wrap in heavy duty freezer bags and freeze for up to 4 months. You can freeze them in one large piece or cut into individual sections. Thaw overnight in the fridge so condensation does not affect the bars.Print
Brookies are a delectable brownie plus chocolate chip cookie layered treat that the whole family will enjoy. Bake a batch today for your friends and family and they will be singing your praises.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted (slightly cooled)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/8 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder and salt. In another medium bowl stir together the sugar, melted butter, vanilla extract and egg. In several intervals add the dry mixture to the wet mixture mixing just until combined. Spread in the prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer beat butter and sugars until light and creamy. Reduce the speed and add the vanilla and egg beating just until incorporated. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in several intervals; beating just until incorporated. Using a spoon stir in 1 cup chocolate chips. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto the brownie layer. Use an inverted spatula to slightly spread out the cookie dough.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. As soon as they come out of the oven top with 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
Keywords: brookie bars, how to make brookies, best brookie recipe