This rich Creamy Chocolate Pie is nestled in a sweet graham cracker crust and topped with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings. This delectable treat is one of our favorites. Strawberry Cream Cheese Pie, Old Fashioned Silky Creamy Custard Pie and this pie are often requested for birthdays, holidays and potlucks.
If you are a chocolate lover than this is your pie! You are going to love the rich decadent chocolate layered in the easy to make three ingredient graham cracker crust. It only take about 15 minutes to make and it is so easy that even the novice chef can handle it. This delectable treat needs to be refrigerated for about 24 hours so some advance planning is needed.
How do you make Chocolate Pie?
Start by combining the melted butter, graham cracker crumbs and a few tablespoons of sugar. Press into a 9 inch pie plate and bake in a preheated oven for about 7-8 minutes. Then simply remove from the oven and let cool while you make the filling. In a small bowl whisk together 4 egg yolks. Set that aside for just a few minutes.
Meanwhile in a large saucepan (at least 2.5 quart) whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt. Now add the milk, cream, bittersweet chocolate, and semi-sweet chocolate. Turn the heat on to medium low and cook until the mixture boils whisking constantly. Boil for 1-2 minutes or until mixture thickens whisking continuously. Remove from the heat and add 1-2 tablespoons of the chocolate mixture to the egg yolks. Whisking quickly to combine. Repeat several times till the egg mixture has warmed. Now turn the heat back on to medium low and whisk in the egg/chocolate mixture. This technique is called tempering the egg. Continue cooking on a low boil for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly as you do want the filling burning on the bottom of the pan.
Pour the filling into the pie crust and cover with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Chill to set overnight or up to 24 hours. In stand mixer using whisk attachment beat whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form.
Tips for making Chocolate Pie
- This pie is equally delicious with a buttery flaky piecrust. No matter whether you choose a graham cracker crust or flaky flour crust prebake the it.
- When cooking the filling stir constantly and cook over medium low heat. It takes a little bit for it too boil and thicken and you certainly don’t want any of the filling burning to the bottom of the pan.
- Don’t skip the step on tempering the eggs. It is a very important step for a cream filling.
- To prevent a skin from forming on the filling cover the pie with plastic wrap after you add the warm filling to the crust.
- Chill the bowl and whipping attachment for 20-30 minutes prior to making the whipped cream.
- For best results chill the pie overnight or up to 24 hours. Do not prepare or pipe the homemade whipped topping until right before serving.
- Top with freshly shaved chocolate.
How do you temper an egg?
With some recipes like pudding, custard, pie filling and some sauces it is very important to temper an egg. By adding some of the hot mixture (in intervals) to the eggs yolks or eggs you bring up the temperature of the eggs gradually. You will need to whisk in the hot liquid in small increments until you raise the temperature of the eggs. I usually only add a few tablespoons at a time. Once you have thoroughly warmed the eggs you can whisk the mixture back into the recipe. This will ensure that your eggs (or egg yolks) incorporate without making a scrambled mess.
More chocolate recipes you will love!!
- Double Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Quick and Easy Chocolate Cherry Cake
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Earthquake Cake
- Death by Chocolate Cake
Rich Chocolate Pie
A decadently rich chocolate pie nestled in a graham cracker crust garnished with fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings. This decadent chocolate pie is perfect for potlucks, birthdays and neighborhood shindigs. A chocolate lovers dream come true!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Graham Cracker Crust
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- 4 egg yolks beaten
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 ounces chocolate for shavings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 inch pie plate with nonstick baking spray.
- Combine melted butter, graham cracker crumbs and 2 tablespoons sugar. Press into prepared pie plate. Bake 7-8 minutes.
- In a large 2.5 quart saucepan whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in milk, 1 cup cream, chocolate chips and chocolate. Place over medium low heat and cook to a low boil; whisking constantly. Boil for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Whisk about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture into the eggs yolks a few tablespoons at a time. Place pot back over medium low heat. Slowly whisk the warmed egg/chocolate mixture into the pie filling. Bring back to a low boil for 1-2 minutes: whisking constantly Pour into the graham cracker crust. Refrigerate overnight or up to 24 hours.
- Before serving beat 1 cup whipping cream and 3 tablespoons powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread or pipe on to the pie. Using vegetable peeler garnish with mini chocolate shavings.
Keywords: chocolate pudding pie, chocolate mousse pie, chocolate silk pie, easy chocolate pie