This recipe for Chicken Florentine combines golden brown chicken breasts, mushrooms, spinach and garlic in a creamy white wine Parmesan sauce that will knock your socks off. I love to serve this family favorite over rice, angel hair pasta or Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Bacon and Chives.
If your family is anything like mine then you can never have enough delicious chicken recipes. Chicken is still one of the most reasonably priced meats available. It is also extremely versatile and so delicious. We usually eat chicken four to five times a week for lunch or for dinner. This scrumptious Chicken Florentine is one of our favorite recipes. It is quick to come together all in one large skillet making cleanup a breeze as well.
How Do You Make Chicken Florentine?
Heat a little butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown and cooked through. Plate the chicken and cover to keep warm. Now add a little more butter and cook the mushrooms until golden brown. Turn the heat down to low and add the garlic. Cook for about one minute, stirring constantly. Plate the mushrooms and garlic and cover to keep warm.
Add the white wine and scrape to remove any browned bits from the skillet. Reduce the wine by half. This usually takes just a couple of minutes, especially since the pan was just reduced to low for the garlic. Now add the cream and let it simmer for about 15 -20 minutes or until is reduced by half. Slowly add the Parmesan cheese, stirring constantly until melted. Add the spinach and cook just until wilted. Place the chicken, mushrooms and garlic back in the pan. Cover and warm for about 2-3 minutes.
Looking for more one-skillet recipes? Try these recipes for an easy dinner:
- One-Skillet Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- One-Skillet Kung Pao Chicken
- Steak and Cheese Skillet
- One-Skillet Asparagus Stuffed Parmesan Chicken
Helpful Tips for Making Chicken Florentine
- Most chicken breasts these days are quite large. Cut them in half lengthwise. They will cook better and they will still be more than an ample serving.
- The heat should be reduced when adding fresh minced garlic. Garlic burns easily so stir constantly.
- Cook mushrooms over medium to medium/high to ensure beautiful browning and to ensure that the moisture from the mushrooms is gone before adding the cream.
- Use heavy whipping cream. If you go with something lighter like half n half then you will need a thickening mixture like a slurry or a cornstrach mixture. Half n half will never reduce enough to thicken but heavy whipping cream will.
- Don’t add the spinach until the very end. It only takes a couple of minutes to wilt.
Other chicken recipes you will love!Print
This one skillet recipe brings golden brown chicken breasts, mushrooms, garlic and spinach together in a rich creamy Parmesan white wine sauce. Serve over rice, angel hair pasta, mashed potatoes or smashed cauliflower (as a low carb option).
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 breasts 1x
- Category: main meal chicken
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: French
- 2 large chicken breasts cut in half lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cups baby spinach
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown and cooked through. Plate the chicken and cover to keep warm.
- Add remaining butter to same skillet over medium/medium high and cook the mushrooms until golden brown; approximately 8 minutes. Turn the heat down to low and add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. Plate the mushrooms and garlic and cover to keep warm.
- Add the wine and scrap to remove any browned bits from the skillet. Reduce the wine by half; approximately 3-4 minutes Add the cream and let it simmer for about 15 -20 minutes; until is reduced by half. Slowly add Parmesan cheese stirring constantly until melted. Add spinach and cooked just until wilted. Place the chicken, mushrooms and garlic back in the pan. Cover and warm for 2-3 minutes.
Keywords: chicken, chicken dinner, chicken Florentine recipe, what is chicken Florentine, one skillet chicken recipe, chicken Florentine sauce, chicken recipes, chicken Florentine