Easy Banana Cake Recipe with Cream Cheese Frosting is our favorite banana cake recipe. It starts with a box cake mix but you would not know it because it tastes better than scratch cake.
Banana cake is my family’s favorite desserts. In fact it is our favorite way to eat bananas. This Easy Banana Cake Recipe with Cream Cheese Frosting is a take off from my late mother-in-law’s banana cake. My mother-in-law was a no nonsense kind of cook. She was one of nine children brought up during the depression and she was also the mother of six children. Betty would cook all of the family meals on a budget and she learned quickly what worked and what did not. Her banana cake became a family favorite and tradition.
It is a cheater cake but it tastes better than any banana cake I have ever had or made from scratch. So you ask what is a cheater cake. I call cakes that use a box mix with add ins cheater cakes. Let me tell you that there really is a place for these kind of cakes. They are quick to come together, amazingly dependable and are absolutely delicious.
Again I repeat myself, I have tried baking many banana cakes from scratch without even coming close to the deliciousness in this Easy Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting. I have even proposed taste tests for family and friends and hands down every time this cake comes out the winner. This delicious beauty can be prepped and in the oven in about ten to fifteen minutes. The icing only takes about five minutes to whip up and tastes heavenly.
How to make Easy Banana Cake Recipe with Cream Cheese Frosting
Whisk together the dry ingredients; cake mix, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Add water, oil and eggs as directed on box. Stir in mashed bananas. Bake in greased pan. For the frosting cream butter and cream cheese. Beat in vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Ice cake when completely cooled. If desired top with chopped pecans. It is just that simple.
Tips for making this Easy Banana Cake!
- Always preheat your oven and bake the cake in the center of the oven.
- Grease and flour your baking dish well. I love Baker’s Joy which is a no stick baking spray with flour.
- Use over-ripe bananas. Brown mushy bananas make a more flavorful moist cake.
- If you really love cinnamon go hog wild and use a whole teaspoon.
- Experiment with different cake mixes like butter pecan and spice.
- Do not over-bake the cake. Start testing with the toothpick at 35 minutes.
- The frosting can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the fridge.
Other delicious banana recipes you will love!!
- Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
So if your family are a bunch of banana cake nuts than put the ingredients for this amazing cake on your list today! Your family will be singing your praises.
This post was originally publish January 11, 2018 and was republished July 17, 2019 with new content.
Easy Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
I have tried baking many banana cakes from scratch without even coming close to the deliciousness in this Easy Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: cake
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1 box yellow cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of cloves
- Water, oil and eggs (that are listed on the box)
- 3 large over-ripe bananas mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 box (8 ounces) cream cheese softened
- 6 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- Optional: 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9 x 13 pan.
- In large bowl whisk together dry box mix, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Add water, oil and eggs as directed on box. With mixer on medium speed or beat vigorously by hand for 2 minutes. Stir in mashed bananas.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- In medium bowl using mixer cream butter and cream cheese. Beat in vanilla extract. Beat in powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time. Spread over cooled cake. If using top with chopped pecans.
- Store cake in refrigerator.
- Start checking the cake at 30 minutes to avoid over-baking.
Keywords: easy banana cake recipe, banana cake with cream cheese frosting, banana nut cake, best banana cake recipe