This delectable Kale Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette makes eating healthy a pleasure. It is a perfect lunch or light supper option. For the most optimal flavor use fresh mandarin oranges and fresh grated ginger in your dressing.
I really believe that eating healthy can and should taste good. Kale is not everyone’s favorite greens however with a couple of easy tips it really is delicious. When combined with the right fruits, vegetables, nuts and a tasty tangy dressing it takes on a whole new high. For a more filling meal add Beef Bulgogi (Korean Beef) or Grilled Marinated Chicken.
How do you massage kale?
I know what you are thinking. You didn’t sign up for this kind of action when you clicked on a recipe. All you really wanted was to find out how to make kale salad. Fear not my friends. I will not lead you in the wrong direction. Massaging kale is very easy to do and it softens it, makes it less bitter and easier to digest.
Start by removing the stems and ribs from each kale leaf. They can be cut away or the leaves can be ripped from them. Sprinkle the leaves lightly with salt. Then simply put a coating on olive oil on your hands and massage just until the point that they begin to wilt. Now simply chop the kale and proceed with the rest of the salad fixings.
How do you make Kale Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette?
Start by adding the vinegar, honey, soy sauce, grated ginger, garlic, safflower oil and sesame oil to a shaker style jar or mason jar with lid. Give it a few good shakes to combine all those yummy ingredients.
Next grab a big salad bowl and add your massaged kale, spring greens, red onions, carrots, mandarin oranges and almonds. Drizzle with the Ginger Vinaigrette and toss to coat.
Helpful tips for making Kale Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
- Take the time and massage the kale. It is well worth the time and effort.
- Do not over massage the kale. You want to massage just until it begins to wilt.
- For a variety of textures add several cups of spring greens, romaine or even tender baby spinach.
- If available use fresh mandarin oranges in the salad and fresh grated ginger in the dressing.
- Adjust the amount of honey in the dressing to your liking.
Other salads you will love!
- Italian Chopped Salad with Fresh Italian Dressing
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Nicoise Salad
- Chef Salad
- Greek Chickpea Salad
Kale Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
This delectable Kale Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette makes eating healthy a pleasure. It is a perfect lunch or light supper option.
- Prep Time: 20
- Total Time: 20
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- Cuisine: American
- 5 –6 cups kale chopped
- 3 cups spring greens
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot cut matchstick
- 3 mandarin oranges peeled and sectioned
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup safflower oil (see notes)
- 1 teaspoons sesame oil
- Combine vinegar, honey, soy sauce, grated ginger, garlic, safflower oil, and sesame oil in a shaker style jar; shake to mix.
- Remove the stems and ribs from the kale leaves. Sprinkle the leaves lightly with salt. Rub your hands with the olive oil olive and rub the kale leaves until they begin to wilt. Chop the kale leaves.
- Place your massaged kale, spring greens, red onions, carrots, mandarin oranges and almonds in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with the Ginger Vinaigrette and toss to coat.
You can substitute vegetable oil or canola oil.
Keywords: kale salad, salad, salad with oranges and almonds, salad with ginger vinaigrette, ginger vinaigrette, kale salad with oranges and almonds