Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad is fresh, crisp cucumbers, sun-ripened tomatoes, and sweet onions in a luscious creamy dressing. It makes a scrumptious patio party dish, healthy light lunch, or dinner side. I love to take this delicious side dish to picnics and potlucks.
I love to have a multitude of healthy side dishes made with fresh veggies that I can bring together fast to go with chicken, fish, or beef. This Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad is so quick to come together with nine ingredients ( two of them being salt and pepper). We really enjoy fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, and we can have this prepped, stirred, and on the table in less than fifteen minutes. The kids love it, and it is absolutely the perfect side dish with any grilled chicken or barbecued cuisine.
How do you make Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad?
First, grab a large bowl and stir together the sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, and garlic powder. Then add the sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion. Gently toss to combine so you don’t break down the vegetables. Add enough salt and pepper to suit your taste. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve, and refrigerate all leftovers in an airtight container.
The key to making the best Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad is picking up good crisp fresh cucumbers, sun-ripened tomatoes, and sweet onions. I have made this with slicing cucumbers and English cucumbers, and both are equally delicious. Both cucumbers and tomatoes contain a lot of water, so I find it works best to mix the sour cream and mayo in right before serving. Leftovers are still delicious, albeit not as creamy. Are you a sweet vinegar cucumber onion fan? Then you should try my Marinated Cucumbers and Red Onions. My family loves both mouthwatering side dishes.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- Use English cucumbers for tender skins that don’t need peeling. If using regular cucumbers, peel them to remove the thick skins.
- For more flavor, try adding fresh herbs like fresh dill, fresh basil, cilantro, or thyme.
- Use halved cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes in the off-season. They taste sweeter, and they are riper in the winter months.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. The cukes will not remain as crisp, but the salad will still be delicious.
Every once in a while, for a bit of variation on the taste of Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad, I will add one teaspoon of rice vinegar and fresh chives along with the dill from my garden. It gives it just a little bit of a different twist and perhaps a little more dimension. Funny that hubby likes it just as written, and I like it with just a touch of rice vinegar and chives. My late sweet Mother used to say that the world would be a boring place if we all liked the same thing. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
More tasty add-ins for Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Small chunks of avocado brushed with lemon juice and tossed in right before serving.
- One-half cup drained and rinsed chickpeas.
- Several tablespoons of feta cheese sprinkled over the top
- One-quarter cup of thinly sliced radishes
More salads you will love!
Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe
This creamy and fresh Cucumber Tomato Salad is sure to become one of your favorite summer salad recipes. For a completely scrumptious meal, serve with grilled steak, chicken, and seafood.
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: side
- Method: bowl and spoon
- Cuisine: American
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 2 medium cucumbers sliced in half lengthwise and thin sliced
- 3 small tomatoes cut into thin wedges or cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 sweet onion thinly sliced
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, dill, and garlic powder.
- Add cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion. Gently stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
This recipe is best served shortly after mixing however leftovers will keep stored in the refrigerator for three days.
Keywords: cucumber and tomato salad, cucumber tomato onion salad, cucumber tomato dill salad