Sweet Potato Salad is a combination of Southern hospitality meets flavor packed Tex Mex. Seasoned roasted sweet potatoes, crunchy vegetables and a simple three ingredient dressing bring it all together in perfect harmony. For an over the top delectable meal serve with Balsamic Vinegar Barbecue Ribs or Dry Rub Sweet Barbecue Pork Tenderloin.
Are you a sweet potato nut like me? I just love them. Have you ever had salsa on a sweet potato? It is phenomenal and part of the inspiration for this recipe. This amazing Sweet Potato Salad combines seasoned roasted sweet potato bites, blackened corn, sweet onion, crisp celery, sun ripened red bell pepper, and scallions all in creamy salsa dressing. So incredibly delicious that you will want to make it over and over again this summer.
How do you make Sweet Potato Salad?
Start by peeling and cubing your sweet potatoes into bite size chunks. Throw all those bright beautiful chunks into a large zipper storage bag. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and a couple pinches of red pepper. Then simply shake to coat Place the potatoes on a parchment covered baking sheet and roast just until fork tender. This usually takes about 30-35 minutes. Let them cool while you chop the other vegetables
In a small bowl whisk together the mayo, salsa and lime juice and set aside. Add one tablespoon olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat and swirl to coat the pan. Add the chopped onion and corn to the hot skillet. Flip every couple of minutes with a spatula. After about 7-10 minutes the corn will turn a nice light golden brown and the onions will be lightly browned on the edges. Allow the corn and onion mixture to cool
In a large bowl add the cooled sweet potatoes, blackened corn and onions, celery, red bell peppers, and scallions. Add the salsa dressing and stir gently to combine. Refrigerate for several hours to meld all the delicious flavors together.
Helpful tips for making Sweet Potato Salad
- Don’t skip seasoning the potatoes before roasting because it really takes this salad over the top.
- Leave space between the potato chunks on the baking sheet so the heat can flow and roast the potatoes.
- Cook the sweet potatoes just until fork tender. Start checking after 25 minutes and every 3-4 minutes thereafter.
- Cut your vegetables fairly small. They should complement the sweet potatoes as they are the star of the show.
- Blackened (charred) corn is fairly easy and is really hard to mess up. Simply leave it over the medium heat undisturbed for a couple of minutes, flip with a spatula and then repeat again until it is lightly browned. If it is browning too fast reduce the heat.
- For best results refrigerate the salad a couple of hours prior to serving therefore letting the flavors co-mingle for a little bit.
- If sensitive to heat omit the crushed red pepper and it will still be delicious!
More potato recipes you will love!
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Skillet German Potato Salad with Bacon
- Potato Leek Soup Recipe
- Grandma’s Creamy Dill Pickle Potato Salad
- Fingerling Potatoes with Dipping Aioli
Sweet Potato Salad
Sweet Potato Salad is a combination of Southern hospitality meets flavor packed Tex Mex with a simple three ingredient dressing that brings it all together.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 35
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: potatoes
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: southern
- 2 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled and cut in bite size chunks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced small
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Combine sweet potatoes, 3 tablespoons olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and crushed red pepper (if desired) in a large Ziploc style bag and shake to coat. Place on parchment covered baking and roast until fork tender; 30-35 minutes. Cool completely.
- In small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, salsa and lime juice.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat and swirl to coat pan. Add chopped onion and corn to the hot skillet; flip every 2-3 minutes with a spatula. Cook 7-10 minutes or until the corn is light golden brown. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl combine sweet potatoes, corn and onions, celery, red bell peppers, and scallions. Add the salsa dressing and stir gently to combine.
Keywords: potato salad, sweet potato corn salad, summer potato salad, summer party food, recipe using sweet potatoes, blackened corn and sweet potato salad