Crispy Cheesy Zucchini Fritters are a quick and easy family favorite. These fritters are over the top with crispy edges and buttery Gouda cheese. A delectable way to use up those summer garden zucchini.
I love these Crispy Cheesy Zucchini Fritters. They are so easy and so scrumptious. The key to making great zucchini fritters is to remove as much liquid as possible from the zucchini. Of course having a big hunk of rich buttery cheese like Gouda helps as well! With this recipe you need to shred your zucchini ahead of time, sprinkle with salt and go do something else for an hour or two. I am sure if your schedule is like mine you will have no problem at all filling that time.
How do you make Zucchini Fritters?
First you want to layer the zucchini in a colander with salt between the layers and let it sit for ideally a couple of hours. Now take a large bowl with a clean bottom and push it into that colander to squeeze the water out of the zucchini. Do this several time to remove as much of the water as possible.
Now transfer the zucchini to a large bowl. Add the flour, eggs, green onions, garlic, onion powder, cayenne and Gouda. Stir just until the mixture is combined.
Heat several tablespoons of vegetable oil over medium high heat and drop batter by 1/4 cups on to the hot oil. Flatten the fritters out with the back of a spatula and cook until golden brown. Flip and cook the other side until golden brown. Zucchini Fritters are best enjoyed right away.
You can top these Zucchini Gouda Fritters with sour cream and parsley or even tzatziki. Sometimes we even make a quick dip out of sour cream, Greek yogurt, garlic and dill. As I always say wear what you dig! Sometimes we change the cheese up and use either cheddar, Parmesan or a combination of both.
Helpful tips for making Crispy Cheesy Zucchini Fritters
- Extract as much water as possible from the grated zucchini.
- Use good quality Gouda cheese. Smoked Gouda cheese is also delicious in these fritters.
- For best results lightly beat the eggs before adding to the batter.
- Don’t over-mix the batter because you don’t the fritters tough.
- Add enough oil to the skillet to crisp the edges.
- Serve warm right out of the pan
Other zucchini recipes you will love!
- Zucchini Noodles
- Zucchini Lasagna
- Easy Lush Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Gratin with Yellow Squash
- Parmesan Zucchini
This post was originally published April 16, 2016 and was republished May 26, 2019 with new content.Print
Crispy Cheesy Zucchini Fritters
Crispy Cheesy Zucchini Fritters are a quick and easy family favorite. These fritters are over the top with crispy edges and buttery Gouda cheese.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Southern
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 cup Gouda cheese shredded
- Vegetable oil
- Sour cream
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Place one cup of zucchini in a colander in the sink and sprinkle with salt. Layer another cup of zucchini and sprinkle salt. Repeat until all the zucchini is salted. Let it sit 1-2 hours. Using a clean large bowl; push the bottom of it into the colander squeezing the liquid out of the bottom of the colander. Do this several times squeezing as much liquid as possible out of the bottom of the colander.
- Transfer zucchini to a large bowl. Add flour, eggs, green onions, garlic, onion powder, cayenne and Gouda. Stir until the mixture is combined.
- Heat 4-6 tablespoons vegetable oil in large skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot add 1/4 cup (about the size of a small pancake) of the zucchini mixture to the skillet. Cook 3 minutes: pressing down with the back of a spatula. Flip and cook an additional 3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to paper towels.
- Serve warm with sour cream and fresh parsley.
Keywords: cheesy zucchini fritters, fritters, zucchini fritters