These scrumptiously good Fried Zucchini Sticks are made in a just few easy steps with simple pantry ingredients. They reheat so incredibly well and are always a favorite with family and friends. I love to serve them for family night with Nashville Hot Chicken Dip, Baked Shrimp Toast and French Onion Dip.
If you have a summer garden than chances are pretty good that you have some zucchini. This is one of our favorite zucchini recipes. You can make these a few hours in advance and reheat right in the oven and they will still be crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. We like to serve them with marinara but you could serve with Honey Mustard Sauce or Southern Comeback Sauce.
How to make Fried Zucchini
Start by cutting your zucchini in either sticks or rounds. Either way they should be about 1/2 inch thick. Now set up three bowls. One with flour, one with beaten eggs, and one mixed with Italian breadcrumbs, panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano, parsley, and garlic powder. Then dip the zucchini in the flour, then in the eggs and finally in the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat until you have coated all the zucchini.
Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a dutch oven or heavy skillet like a cast iron skillet. Now working in batches fry the zucchini a couple of minutes on each side. Then remove to paper towels to drain. Serve with warm marinara.
Helpful tips for making Fried Zucchini
- Leave the skin on and cut the sticks or rounds about 1/2 inch thick for optimum frying.
- These appetizers can be reheated and re-crisped on a baking sheet in a 400 degree oven for about 7-10 minutes.
- I like to make my own breadcrumbs using croutons. They provide such great flavor with a lot less preservatives. I simply grind them up in my mini food processor.
- To avoid the dreaded breading fingers use one hand for the wet ingredients and the other hand for the dry ingredients! Voila no more constant hand washing.
- Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese as it is flavor packed and really helps make this recipe so delectable.
Your family and friends will love this fun and easy breaded zucchini recipe. Its crispy coating is seasoned with Parmesan, garlic and oregano. These appetizers are traditionally enjoyed dipped in warmed marinara.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 serving 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: Italian
- 3 medium zucchini quartered and cut in half
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- canola or vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup marinara warmed
- Set up 3 bowls; flour, beaten eggs and one mixed with Italian breadcrumbs, panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano, parsley, and garlic powder. Then dip each stick in the flour, then in the eggs and then in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat 1/2 inch oil in a dutch oven heavy or heavy skillet. Working in batches fry the zucchini 2-3 minutes per side. Remove to paper towels to drain. Serve with warm marinara.
- Read here for tips on checking to see if your oil is hot enough for frying.
Keywords: how to make fried zucchini, how to fry zucchini, pan fried zucchini