This delectable Apple Cake has a slightly crunchy crust and a soft moist center that is loaded with chunks of sweet apple and pecans. It is perfectly spiced with cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg. It is lightly drizzled with an easy four ingredient caramel sauce. I make this cake several times each fall for bake sales, potlucks and family and friend get-togethers.
My family just loves a good fall apple dessert. I mean honestly who the heck doesn’t? What is not to love about crisp sweet apples nestled in batter or dough with all the yummy fall spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and allspice. Do you like fall apple desserts? Have you tried any of my other apple desserts? Apple Galette, Apple Crisp, Apple Dumplings, and this cake are just a few of our favorites.
How to make this Cinnamon Pecan Apple Cake
First in a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg. Then in separate large bowl whisk together the vegetable oil, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract. Now add the dry mixture to the wet mixture in several intervals stirring just until combined. Next add the apples and pecans stirring just until combined. Spoon the batter into a well greased and lightly floured bundt pan.
Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Then let the cake cool in the pan for about 15-20 minutes before inverting. Meanwhile in a small saucepan over medium heat add the butter, brown sugar, and cream. Now bring to a boil while stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar. Then remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Finally drizzle over the warm cake.
What are the best apples for this Apple Cake?
My go to apples for this recipe are crisp apples like Honeycrisp or Granny Smith. Other good choices are Braeburn or Pink Lady (also known as Cripps Pink). You can also do a mixture of all of these or any of these for more texture and flavor. Cut your apples into chunks that are at least 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch thick to help keep a little bit of firmness through the baking process. For best results stir them with a little lemon juice to keep them from browning while you are making your way through the recipe.
Recipe tips and notes
- Cut your apples into chunks for bite size pieces of apple with just a little bit of that great apple texture left after baking.
- Grease and flour your bundt pan well. I like to use Baker’s Joy but flour and butter work well too.
- Because of the chunks of apple in this delicious cake intricate bundt pans do not work very well but a standard bundt pan works like a dream.
- This cake is one of those recipes that tastes even better when made a day in advance. Let it cool completely before covering and storing in a cool section of the kitchen.
- Always preheat your oven and load the cake on the middle rack in the center of the oven.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack away from the oven for about 15 minutes before inverting on to a serving platter.
- Chopped walnuts can be substituted for the chopped pecans.
- If you don’t like ground cloves use ground ginger or allspice or split the difference between the two.
A scrumptiously moist Apple Cake with chunks of fresh apples and pecans all topped with an easy four ingredient caramel drizzle.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 14 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: German
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups vegetable oil
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large Honeycrisp apples peeled, cored and chunked
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ground cloves and nutmeg. In a separate large bowl whisk together the vegetable oil, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture in 3 intervals stirring just until combined. Add the apples and pecans stirring just until mixed. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes before inverting.
- In a small saucepan over medium add the butter, brown sugar, and cream. Bring to a boil while stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Drizzle over the warm cake.
Keywords: apple spice cake, German apple cake, apple bundt cake, caramel apple cake