This scrumptious Apple Galette will get you in the mood for autumn with a four ingredient crust, crisp apples, and some of your favorite fall spices. The end result is equally as delicious as your favorite apple pie with a fraction of the work. I love to serve this with fresh Homemade Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream.
Fall will be here before we know and with it will come all those marvelous apple desserts! What a great time of the year for such yummy goodies! My friends and family just love apple desserts. I mean honestly who doesn’t? Apple Dumplings, Apple Brown Betty, Applesauce Cake, and this recipe are just a few of our favorites. What is your favorite apple recipe!
How to make Apple Galette
Start by cutting your chilled butter into small cubes. Then combine with the flour and salt using a pastry blender to cut in the butter until very crumbly. Add chilled water a few tablespoons at a time mixing with a fork until the dough pulls together. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
After the dough has chilled for a while peel, core and slice the apples. Next combine the apples in a bowl with the lemon juice, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
Now gently roll the piecrust out to about a 12 inch circle on a lightly floured surface. It does not have to be a perfect circle which is one of the advantages of making an easy galette. Next trim the rough edges with a pizza cutter or leave them for a more rustic look. Carefully move the pie crust to a covered baking sheet. Spoon the apples into the center of the pie crust and bring up the edges tucking it in and folding it along the way.
Then whisk together the egg with the water. Using a pastry brush lightly coat the top and sides of the pastry dough with the egg wash. Bake for about 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. For an extra special treat serve a la mode.
Tips and recipe notes for Apple Galette
- Plan ahead as the pie crust needs to chill for at least 2 hours. If you are always fighting a race against the clock make it a day in advance and store in the refrigerator.
- Always use well chilled butter when making the pie crust.
- Preheat the oven and load the galette on the center rack in the middle of the oven.
- For best results use parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Slice the apples about 1/4 inch thick which is thin enough to cook through but still have structure and plenty of delicious apple flavor.
- Don’t skip the egg wash step as it really enhances browning of the pie crust and make for a spectacular presentation.
- If you don’t have the time to make a homemade pie crust pick up a frozen one or for a change of pace try frozen puff pastry.
What are the best apples for Apple Galette?
My go to apples for this recipe are crisp apples like Honeycrisp or Granny Smith. Other good choices are Braeburn or Pink Lady (also known as Cripps Pink). You can also do a mixture of all of these or any of these for more texture and flavor. When you cut your apples slice them at least a quarter inch thick to help keep a little bit of firmness through the baking process. For best results add a little lemon juice to the apple slices to keep them from browning while you are making your way through the recipe.
This simple yet elegant Apple Galette has the full flavor and spice of an apple pie with a fraction of the work. Bake one for your family today and they will be singing your praises.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: French
- 1/2 cup chilled butter cut in small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled water
- 2–3 large apples peeled, cored and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Combine butter, flour, and salt. Using a pastry blender cut in the butter until very crumbly. Add chilled water a few tablespoons at a time mixing with a fork until the dough pulls together. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- In a large bowl combine apples and lemon juice. Sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Stir to combine.
- Gently roll the piecrust out to a 12 inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Trim the rough edges with a pizza cutter or leave them for a more rustic look. Carefully move the pie crust to a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Spoon the apples into the center of the pie crust and bring up the edges tucking it in and folding it along the way.
- Whisk together the egg and water. Using a pastry brush lightly coat the top and sides of the pastry dough with the egg wash. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- You do not have to roll the pie crust into a perfect circle which is one of the advantages of making an easy galette.
Keywords: rustic apple galette, easy apple galette, french apple galette recipe