Chicken Enchilada Soup combines onions, peppers, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, green chiles, and chicken in a perfectly seasoned chicken broth. This easy soup comes together quickly with ready baked scrumptious rotisserie chicken.
Soup season is just right around the corner. Thank goodness! Fall is my absolute favorite time of the year. There is just something magical about the beautiful trees of the Midwest changing colors and putting the best that nature has to offer on display. Soup is just the perfect fall meal and I love everything about it! This Chicken Enchilada soup will quickly become one of your favorite meals. It is quick to come together and there are no special skills required. It is delicious and dependable every time.
How do you make Chicken Enchilada Soup?
First add a little olive to a heavy stockpot or Dutch Oven over medium heat. Now add the onion and peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes adding the minced garlic, paprika, marjoram, chili powder and cumin the last 30 seconds of cooking.
Then add the chicken stock, enchilada sauce, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes and green chiles. Simmer for around 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Finally add the cooked chicken and simmer for 5 minutes. Top with chopped parsley, tortilla strips, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
Helpful tips for making Chicken Enchilada Soup
- If available use sweet Vidalia Onions.
- Cut your vegetables in small bite size pieces so there is a variety of tastes in every spoonful.
- Rotisserie chickens are available at warehouse stores like Costco, Sams and most local grocery stores.
- Drain and rinse the black beans and corn to remove all excess sodium.
- Use low sodium chicken broth as their is enough sodium in the other canned goods in this recipe.
- You can find green chiles and red enchilada sauce in the Hispanic food section of most grocery stores.
- If more heat is desired add a couple tablespoons fresh minced jalapenos, a few pinches of ground cayenne pepper or a finely minced chipotle pepper packed in adobo sauce.
- Do not overcook the peppers and onions. This soup is better with the vegetables a little crisp tender.
- Top with your choice of tortilla strips, sour cream, chopped fresh parsley, chopped fresh cilantro, shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack, chopped avocado or sliced black olives.
Well what you are waiting for! Put the ingredients on your shopping list and get your fall off to a great start with this flavor packed easy soup.
Other soups you will love!
- Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Chicken Barley Soup
- Best Ever Italian Wedding Soup
- Creamy Ham and Potato Soup
- Ham and Bean Soup (15 minute recipe)
Chicken Enchilada Soup
Enchilada sauce, chicken, green peppers, onions, black beans, corn and tomatoes come together in a slightly spicy perfectly seasoned broth to make this one of our family’s favorite soups.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: main meal soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 green pepper diced into small bite size pieces
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can corn drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (7 ounce) can green chiles
- 2 1/2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- tortilla strips
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
Heat olive in a heavy stockpot or Dutch Oven over medium heat. Add onions and peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic, paprika, marjoram, chili powder and cumin the last 30 seconds of cooking; stirring constantly.
Add chicken stock, black beans, corn, diced tomatoes and green chiles. Simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the cooked chicken and simmer for 5 minutes. Top with chopped parsley, tortilla strips, sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
Keywords: chicken soup, soup, chicken enchilada soup recipe, easy chicken enchilada soup