Cowboy Cookies are scrumptious treats filled with chocolate chips, oatmeal and chopped pecans. They are slightly crispy on the outside and soft with just a touch of chewy on the inside. These sweet treats are quick to come together and packed full of tasty goodies.
I just love cookies. I think perhaps some people might refer to me as the cookie monster. These delectable Cowboy Cookies are one of my favorites. You can prepare the dough ahead of time and refrigerate for up to four days or you can freeze the dough for up to three months.
How do you make Cowboy Cookies?
First grab a bowl and whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Next using a stand mixer or hand held mixer cream the butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix just until combined. Mix in the vanilla and add the flour mixture in about three parts. Continue mixing until combined scraping down the bowl and beaters as you go.
Stir in the chocolate chips, rolled oats, chopped pecans and flaked coconut if desired. Spoon on to parchment covered baking sheets. Bake until lightly browned on the bottom. Let the cookies cool about five minutes before moving them to cookie cooling racks.
Helpful tips for making Cowboy Cookies
- Preheat the oven for optimum baking.
- Cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. In a stand mixer at level 4 it will take about 3 minutes.
- Soften the butter at room temperature until slight pressure leaves an indentation.
- Warm the eggs to room temperature. This will take about 30 minutes.
- For best results use parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Use good quality chocolate and if at all possible chop the pecans yourself.
- Resist the urge to over bake the cookies. Cook until just very lightly browned.
- Coconut is a great addition to these cookies. It adds a lot of flavor and moisture so if you like it go for it. My teenagers are not found of coconut so I choose to leave it out this time.
- If you go over the top with add ins as I always do after dropping on the baking sheet press down gently with the palm of your hand.
Other cookie recipes you will love!
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Andes Mint Cookies
- Homemade Sugar Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
- Brownie Cookies
Cowboy Cookies are scrumptious treats filled with chocolate chips, oatmeal and chopped pecan. They are slightly crispy on the outside and soft with just a touch of chewy on the inside.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 dozen cookies 1x
- Category: cookies
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Southern
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs warmed to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Using a mixer cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time; mix just until combined. Mix in vanilla and add flour mixture in 3 parts. Continue mixing until combined scraping down the bowl and beaters as you go.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, rolled oats, chopped pecans and flaked coconut (optional). Drop by rounded 1 1/2 tablespoons on to parchment covered baking sheets. Press down just a tad with the palm of your hand. Bake until lightly browned; 9-11 minutes. Let the cookies cool 5 minutes before moving them to cookie cooling racks.
Keywords: cookies, chocolate chip cookies, chocolate chip oatmeal cookies