These Chocolate Cherry Cookies are a fabulous treat. A soft fudge cookie with a plump sweet maraschino cherry right in the center and then drizzled with a chocolate fudge sauce. Are you making cookie trays for the holidays? Small Batch Almond Joy Cookies and Buttery Pecan Snowball Cookies are delicious and beautiful additions to your cookie trays as well.
Who could ask for more? Not only are these Chocolate Cherry Cookies a delectable treat but they are so attractive. See what I mean! We love these cookies and they are just so perfect for the season. What could be prettier for the season than chocolate and cherry!
How to make Chocolate Cherry Cookies!
First using mixer cream butter and both sugars. Then add eggs one at a time and mix in. In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Slowly blend the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Then add the vanilla and cherry juice and mix just until combined. Cover and refrigerate for thirty minutes.
Smooth a little butter on your hands and roll dough into one inch balls. Place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Using thumb press small indentation in center of cookie and place a maraschino cherry in hole. Bake for ten minutes.
Meanwhile melt the chocolate chips and the sweetened condensed milk on low. When melted add the cherry juice and drizzle over cooled cookies.
How to freeze Chocolate Cherry Cookies
These gorgeous cookies are drizzled with a delicious fudge sauce therefore if freezing they need to be flash frozen. So you ask what is is flash freezing. Simply place the cookies on a baking sheet covered with aluminum foil or wax paper. The cookies should not be touching as they will freeze together. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer. Once the cookies are frozen double wrap in freezer bags and place in a sturdy freezer container.
When defrosting remove the cookies from the bags and place on plates in single layer. Allow to defrost at room temperature. Once defrosted these Chocolate Cherry Cookies should be stored in a single layer in an airtight container.
Helpful hints to make these Chocolate Cherry Cookies epic.
- Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Use good quality cocoa. It really does make a difference.
- Cover baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven and load the cookies on the middle rack so the heat is as even as possible.
- Use your thumb to press a small indentation in the cookie before baking. You want the cherry to be very prominent so it is just a slight impression to get the cherry to cradle on the top of the cookie.
- The fudge topping is semi-soft so serve in a single layer.
- If you must have a stack-able cookie replace the chocolate drizzle with melted chocolate. Melt 2/3 cup of chocolate morsels according to package instructions. Drizzle and then allow to cool until set.
The recipe is predictable, easy and the presentation is party worthy! They freeze well in single layers! Bon appetit my food loving friends!
Other holiday cookies you will love!
- Buttery Pecan Snowball Cookies
- Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- Peanut Butter White Chocolate Christmas Pretzels
This post was originally published November 21, 2014 and was republished November 25, 2018 with new content.Print
Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies
These Chocolate Cherry Cookies are a soft fudge cookie with a sweet maraschino cherry right in the center and then drizzled with a chocolate fudge sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 30 1x
- Category: cookies
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cherry juice (from maraschino cherry jar)
- 30–36 jarred maraschino cherries
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon cherry juice (from maraschino cherry jar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter and both sugars with mixer. Add eggs one at a time and mix in.
- Combine flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl. Add 1/2 cup dry mixture to butter mixture at a time. Blending after each addition just until combined and scraping side of mixer bowl as needed. Add vanilla and 2 teaspoons cherry juice and mix just until combined. Remove bowl from mixer and refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Butter hands and roll dough into 1 inch balls. Place on cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Using thumb press small indentation in center of cookie and place maraschino cherry in hole.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk on low. When melted add 1 tablespoon cherry juice. Drizzle over cooled cookies.
Keywords: cookies, Christmas cookies, dessert, chocolate cookies, cherry cookies