This delectable Easy Pan Fried Chicken with Cream Gravy calls for double breaded chicken breasts pan fried and drizzled with perfectly seasoned cream gravy. It is the ultimate comfort food. When served with Traditional Irish Colcannon Potatoes and Cabbage and Southern Green Beans it is the ultimate comfort meal.
I am of the belief that one can never have enough good chicken recipes. After all chicken is just so incredibly versatile. This super easy chicken dinner comes together quickly and easily. Except for one plate and a bowl it is made in one easy skillet.
How do you make Pan Fried Chicken with Cream Gravy?
First in a small Ziploc bag combine the salt, onion powder, cumin, black pepper, garlic powder and white pepper. Shake well to combine and remove 2 teaspoons of the mixture and set it aside. On a large shallow plate combine the remaining spice with 2/3 cup of flour. Pour the buttermilk in a nice wide bowl. Dip the chicken in the flour mixture, then in the buttermilk, and finally back in the flour mixture. Repeat until all chicken breasts are coated.
In a large skillet over medium heat add 2 tablespoons canola oil until it is good and hot. It is hot enough when a drop of water placed in the pan with the oil crackles and pops. Cook 2 breasts until golden brown on both sides. Add the remaining canola oil and cook the remaining breasts until golden brown. Place the cooked chicken on a plate in the oven uncovered while you make the cream gravy.
Melt the butter in the same skillet over low heat. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of flour and cook for 4-5 minutes whisking constantly. Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and the milk alternating between the two. Add the 2 teaspoons of spices that you set aside. Continue cooking until slightly thickened whisking frequently. Spoon over the chicken breasts and serve immediately.
Recipe notes and helpful tips
- Chicken breasts are often too thick. If so cut them in half lengthwise or gently pound them with a kitchen meat mallet until a more reasonable thickness has been achieved.
- For cooking the chicken get the skillet fairly hot and don’t overcrowd the skillet. That is why I advise cooking the breasts in two batches.
- When the chicken is done place on a plate and put in a warm oven uncovered. Therefore the chicken will stay crispy and the breading will not come off.
- Do not fret about the buttermilk. Just make it yourself by adding 1 1/2 teaspoons of white vinegar or lemon juice to a 1/2 cup milk. Give it just a little stir and wait 5 minutes. The acids will curdle the milk and now you have buttermilk without a run to the store.
- Additional black pepper can be substituted for the white pepper.
- For best results after sprinkling the flour into the butter (to make the gravy) whisk for several minutes to slightly brown the flour and cook out some of the floury taste. I usually do this for about 3-5 minutes depending upon how much chaos is going on and how hungry I am.
Whenever I think of the perfect Sunday meal this Easy Pan Fried Chicken Breast and Cream Gravy comes to mind. It is delicious (I mean plate licking good), dependable and easy. Even the novice cook can tackle this one. Treat your family and put this on the weekend list. Leave a comment and let me know what you think.
Other chicken recipes you will love!
- Chicken Chow Mein
- Chicken Scallopini
- Chicken Caesar Salad
- Chicken Tetrazzini
- Chicken Quesadillas
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken
This post was originally published May 2, 2017 and was republished August 29, 2019 with new content.Print
Easy Pan Fried Chicken with Cream Gravy
An uncomplicated recipe for delicious pan fried chicken breast and perfectly seasoned creamy gravy all cooked up in one skillet. This is the ultimate comfort food meal.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal chicken
- Method: pan fry
- Cuisine: American
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts split in half lengthwise creating 4
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In small Ziploc bag combine salt, onion powder, cumin, black pepper, garlic powder and white pepper. Remove 2 teaspoons and set aside. On a large shallow plate combine the remaining spice with the 2/3 cup flour, Pour buttermilk in a wide bowl. Dip chicken in flour mixture, then in buttermilk, back in flour mixture. Repeat until all breasts are coated.
- In large skillet over medium heat add 2 tablespoons canola oil until it is good and hot. Cook 2 breasts until golden brown on both sides. Add the remaining canola oil and cook the remaining breasts until golden brown. Place on plate in oven UNCOVERED.
- Melt butter in same skillet over low heat. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of flour; cook for 4-5 minutes whisking constantly. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and milk; alternating between the two. Add remaining spices that you set aside. Continue cooking until slightly thickened; whisking frequently. Spoon over chicken breasts and serve immediately.
Keywords: pan fried chicken, chicken, pan fried chicken breast, how to pan fry chicken, pan friend chicken recipe, chicken recipe, how to pan fry chicken breast