Chicken has got to be the most versatile meat on the planet. I think we probably eat chicken at least three times a week and this is just referring to dinner. It does not count the endless birds that we eat for lunch. Sweet Dill Chicken Cabbage Slaw, Blackened Chicken Salad with Sweet Corn Salsa and Chicken Pepper Jack Quesadilla are just a few of my lunch favorites.
This delectable Easy Pan Fried Chicken and Cream Gravy calls for double breaded chicken breasts pan fried and drizzled with perfectly seasoned cream gravy. It is the ultimate comfort food. When served with mashed potatoes and fresh green beans it is the ultimate comfort meal. Except for a couple of small plates and a bowl it is made in one easy skillet.
Some interesting and somewhat amusing facts about chickens courtesy of Backyard Chickens!
The rooster’s wattle is used to bring attention to him when dancing for the hens.
Reportedly the record number of eggs laid in one day by a chicken is seven.
Chickens have more bones in their necks than giraffes!
There are more chickens than people on the Earth.
If a chicken has red ear lobes, it will lay brown eggs; if white, white eggs.
The record number of yolks in an egg is nine!
And the best one of all!
In Gainesville, Georgia, it is illegal to eat fried chicken with anything but your fingers.
Whenever I think of the perfect Sunday meal this Easy Pan Fried Chicken and Cream Gravy comes to mind. It is delicious (I mean plate licking good), dependable and easy. Even the novice cook can tackle this one. Treat your family and put this on the weekend list. Leave a comment and let me know what you think.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 large chicken breasts split in half lengthwise
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In small Ziploc bag combine salt, onion powder, cumin, black pepper, garlic powder and white pepper. Remove 2 teaspoons and set aside. On a large shallow plate combine the remaining spice with the 2/3 cup flour, Pour buttermilk in a wide bowl. Dip chicken in flour mixture, then in buttermilk, back in flour mixture. Repeat until all breasts are coated.
- In large skillet over medium heat add 2 tablespoons canola oil until it is good and hot. It is hot enough when a drop of water is placed in the pan with the oil and it crackles and snaps. Cook 2 breasts until golden brown on both sides. Add the remaining canola oil and cook the remaining breasts until golden brown. Place on plate in oven UNCOVERED.
- Melt butter in same skillet over low heat. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of flour; cook for 90 seconds stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in chicken broth and milk; alternating between the two. Add remaining spices that you set aside. Continue cooking until slightly thickened; whisking frequently. Spoon over chicken breasts and serve immediately.
Other chicken dinner recipes you will love!