Chicken Scallopini is golden brown breaded chicken cooked in a lemon wine sauce with garlic, mushrooms, capers, bacon and artichoke hearts. Serve with angel hair pasta, Zucchini Noodles or Lemon Rice. This delectable recipe comes together easily and all in one pan
Chicken Scallopini is one of my absolute favorite recipes!! I am not sure if it is the crispy coated chicken, or the lemon white wine sauce or the tiny capers but I just adore it! It is easy enough for a weeknight meal yet elegant enough for company. Please see my helpful tips for pulling this off without a hitch.
How do you make Chicken Scallopini?
First split your chicken breasts in half and dredge in flour. Then dunk the breast in the egg mixture. Finally dredge it into the breadcrumb mixture. Add a little oil and melt a little butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the chicken breasts on both sides and place on an uncovered ovenproof plate and place in the oven at 250 degrees. This will help keep it warm and finish cooking it without drying it out.
Heat a little more olive oil and butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are golden brown stirring frequently. This will take about five to seven minutes. Turn the heat to low and add the minced garlic and cook for one additional minute. Add the cooked chopped bacon, quartered artichoke hearts, and capers. Finally add the wine and lemon juice and reduce by about one half. Pour in the chicken broth. Add the cooked chicken back to the pan and simmer for a couple of minutes. Serve over pasta, rice or potatoes.
Helpful tips for cooking Chicken Scallopini
- Cut your chicken breast in half lengthwise so they are not so thick. If they are still quite thick cover with plastic wrap and beat gently with a meat mallet.
- Cook the chicken breasts until they are golden brown. Place them on an ovenproof plate and put uncovered in the oven at 250 degrees while you finish the rest of the recipe.
- To save time and dishes cook your bacon in the same skillet. You can leave a tad of bacon grease for browning the breaded chicken breast but I would remove most of it.
- I am like the Pioneer Woman I still like to wash my mushrooms. Therefore I immediately dry them real well with paper towels.
- You can use either canned artichoke hearts or jarred ones packed in oil. Consequently If using the ones in oil drain well.
- Capers are found in most local grocery stores in the same aisle as the pickles, olives and roasted red peppers.
- Use a good quality white wine. A good rule of thumb is if you won’t drink it don’t cook with it.
What are capers and what do they taste like?
Capers are the immature flower buds from the caper plant which grow wild in the Mediterranean. They grow in viny brambles similar to blackberries. They are briny, tart and salty but they are the perfect accompaniment to the smoked bacon, sweet caramelized mushrooms and lemony wine sauce. Chicken Scallopini just would not be quite as good without them. If you have never tried them step outside your safety zone and give them a chance.
Other skillet chicken recipes you will love!
- Garlic Chicken
- Easy Creamy Lemon Basil Chicken
- Sesame Chicken Recipe
- Caprese Chicken
- Spinach Artichoke Stuffed Chicken
This post was originally published January 26, 2014 and was republished May 2, 2019 with new content and pictures.Print
Chicken Scallopini is pan fried breaded chicken cooked in a lemon wine sauce with garlic, mushrooms, capers, bacon and artichoke hearts.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: main meal chicken
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 large chicken breasts split in half lengthwise to create 4 thinner breast pieces
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package button mushrooms sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 4 slices crispy cooked bacon chopped
- 2/3 cup quartered artichoke hearts
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place flour on shallow plate.
- Combine panko breadcrumbs, Italian breadcrumbs, basil, oregano and Parmesan on separate shallow plate.
- Mix egg and milk in wide shallow bowl.
- Dip each piece of chicken in flour, in egg mixture and then in the bread crumb mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in large skillet. Cook chicken until golden brown. Remove chicken and place uncovered on ovenproof plate. Put in oven at 250 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet on medium. Add mushrooms and cook until golden brown; 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 additional minute. add the minced garlic and cook for one additional minute. Add the cooked chopped bacon, quartered artichoke hearts, and capers. Add wine and lemon juice and allow to cook down about half. Add the chicken broth. Add the chicken back to the pan; simmer for 2-3 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken breasts and serve.
Keywords: what is chicken scallopini, lemon chicken scallopini, easy chicken scallopini