If you have never tried a Gooey Butter Cake you must really treat yourself!! This is one of those regional recipes. It is a St. Louis original recipe or at least that is what I have always been told and I believe to be true. You will not be disappointed at all. You will fall madly in love with this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter one 9×13 inch cake pan. Mix the cake mix, melted butter and one egg in a medium size bowl.
Pat gently into the bottom of the pan. Set aside while you make the top layer.
Mix the remaining two eggs with the cream cheese, vanilla and the powdered sugar. Pour over the top of the bottom crust. Do NOT mix the layers together. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Wait until completely cool to cut.
Doesn’t it look delicious and it is as easy as pie!!Print
Gooey Butter Cake
- I yellow butter cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3 eggs
- 8 ounces cream cheese (1 box)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Mix cake mix, melted butter and one egg. Pat gently into the bottom of the pan with your clean fingers.
- Mix cream cheese, vanilla, 2 eggs and powdered sugar with hand or stand mixer until well blended. Pour on top of the bottom layer. Do NOT mix the two layers together. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- Cool completely before cutting.