Texas Sheet Cake is a quick and easy moist decadent chocolate cake covered with a chocolate fudge walnut frosting. This large rich cake goes a long way as small pieces are best. This is the perfect potluck, pool party, birthday party and family reunion dessert.
Life is better with cake! Don’t you agree? This delectable cake is thinner than your average single layer cake and therefore bakes up considerably faster. The frosting is spread when the cake is still warm making it possible to enjoy this cake in about an hour. There are a few steps to this cake but none of them are too complicated. Even the novice cook can handle this delectable treat. You can buy a special sheet cake pan made for this or just simply use a jelly roll pan and it works like a dream.
How do you make Texas Sheet Cake?
First in a medium saucepan over medium low heat melt two sticks of butter, add the water and 4 tablespoons cocoa powder. Bring the mixture to a low boil whisking frequently. Then remove from the heat. Let it cool for about 20 minutes away from the heat of the stove. Meanwhile combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Next in a separate bowl small bowl whisk together the sour cream and eggs.
Once the chocolate mixture has cooled for about 20 minutes pour the egg and sour cream mixture into the flour mixture. Now pour the chocolate mixture in as well. Then stir to combine mixing just until incorporated. Next pour into prepared pan and bake.
While the cake is baking combine milk, one stick of butter and 4 tablespoons cocoa powder in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Bring to a low boil whisking constantly. Then remove from the heat. Working quickly stir in the powdered sugar and walnuts. Next pour over the warm cake spreading with a spatula.
Helpful Recipe Tips
- A jelly roll pan works perfect for this recipe. Most jelly roll pans are 1 inch deep and 12 x 17. Mine is a tad smaller at 11 x 16 but as long as you are in the ballpark the cake will turn out great.
- Spray the jelly roll pan with nonstick baking spray or grease well and lightly flour.
- Use a good quality unsweetened cocoa powder. I really love Ghirardelli premium cocoa powder.
- Cool the butter, water and cocoa mixture for about 20 minutes away from the heat of the stove. Whisking helps to cool the mixture faster.
- When making the frosting be prepared to work quickly. Have everything you need within range and your powdered sugar measured. Keep the warm cake close by.
- If the frosting is setting up too fast while you are stirring in the powdered sugar place the saucepan over very low heat and whisk vigorously.
- Once the warm frosting is poured on the cake spread quickly but carefully with a spatula.
Other chocolate desserts you will love!Print
Texas Sheet Cake
An easy family friendly decadent rich moist chocolate cake that is baked in a jelly roll pan and topped with a simple five ingredient luscious chocolate walnut fudge frosting.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 32 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: stovetop/bake
- Cuisine: Southern
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and lightly flour a jelly roll pan (12 x 17 – 1 inch deep)
- In a medium saucepan over medium low heat melt 1 cup butter, add water and 4 tablespoons cocoa. Bring mixture to a low boil; whisking frequently. Remove from heat; cool for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a separate small bowl whisk together the sour cream and eggs.
- Pour the egg and sour cream mixture and the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture. Stir to combine mixing just until incorporated. Next pour into prepared pan and bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- In the last few minutes of the cake baking start the frosting. Combine milk, 1/2 cup butter and 4 tablespoons cocoa powder in a large saucepan over medium low heat. Bring to a low boil whisking constantly. Remove from heat. Working quickly stir in the powdered sugar and walnuts. Pour over the warm cake spreading with a spatula.
Keywords: original Texas sheet cake, Texas chocolate sheet cake, Texas sheet cake frosting