Skillet Sausage and Peppers are a winning combination of sweet chicken sausage, crisp bell peppers and onions in an amazing Asian inspired sauce. It is the perfect busy family meal as it can be on the table in less than thirty minutes.
I love this recipe. Skillet Sausage and Peppers is so easy and tastes so darn good. It is one of hubby’s favorite meals. I bet you never knew that sausage, peppers and onions could come together in such perfect harmony. You can serve it over rice, couscous, pasta or spaghetti squash for a low carb option. I like it just by itself! They sell so many tasty and healthy chicken sausages these days.
How to find healthier sausage choices.
Thank goodness stores have started carrying healthier choices for sausage and smoked sausages. You can find a lot of amazing chicken sausages that are additive and preservative free. You really don’t have to put up with those nitrates anymore. Some of my favorites are Applegate, Al Fresco and Aidells. Do you see a pattern here? LOL! I have found these in some of the finer grocery stores and with a little luck sometimes Walmart.
As always read your labels to see if you recognize all the ingredients and watch your sodium level. Try to avoid those sausages that contain additives and preservatives. Typical additives include sugar, yeast extract and smoke flavor. Typical preservatives include nitrates, sulphur dioxide, sodium and potassium sulphites. As I said there are healthier choices out there you just need to chase them down.
How do you make Sausage and Peppers?
For this Sausage and Peppers Recipe you will need some chicken sausage, sliced onions, green peppers, red peppers and a little minced garlic for the sauce. Oh the sauce! Brown those delicious little sausages in a skillet. You can brown them whole or slice them and brown them! I personally like them sliced and browned.
After the sausages are browned move them to a plate and cover to keep warm. Now add a little olive oil and a little sesame oil to the pan. Add the onions and peppers and cook on medium high for about eight to ten minutes depending up the amount of heat you are working with and how brown you like the edges of your veggies. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the sherry, soy sauce, mirin, sriracha sauce, Worcestershire sauce, ginger, and ketchup. Mix gently in amongst the veggies and return the sausages to the pan to warm up. Let all those delicious foods co-mingle for about five minutes. Oh this Skillet Sausage and Peppers is so yummy. Bon appetit everyone!
Helpful tips for making Sausage and Peppers
- Do not skip browning the sausage as it adds flavor to the whole dish.
- Cut your vegetables in bite size pieces trying to stay somewhat consistent with the size of the sausage chunks.
- If at all possible use fresh ginger. Some grocery stores sell ginger paste which works just as well.
- Mirin is sweetened sake and is available in the oriental section of some grocery stores. If you can not find it substitute with two additional tablespoons of sherry and two teaspoons brown sugar.
- This dish is best enjoyed right away so the peppers do not cook too soft.
More chicken sausage recipes you will love!
- Sausage and Pepper Linguine
- Skillet Sausage and Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Sausage Sauerkraut and Potatoes
- Savory Chicken Sausage Cabbage Noodle Soup
This post was originally published April, 23, 2018 and was republished October 1, 2019 with new content.Print
Skillet Sausage and Peppers
This delicious recipe combines golden browned chicken sausage, sweet bell peppers and onions together in a sweet slightly spicy tangy sauce with a little bit of Asian flare.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal sausage
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Asian American
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 4 chicken sausages cut in bite size chunks
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Mirin
- 1 teaspoons sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and one teaspoon sesame oil to large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until lightly browned. Remove to plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon sesame oil to the skillet over medium high heat. Cook the peppers and onions on medium high for about 8 minutes or until the onions are lightly browned on the edges. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the sherry, soy sauce, mirin, sriracha sauce, Worcestershire, fresh ginger, and ketchup. Mix gently until combined. Add the sausages back to the skillet and allow everything to warm for 1-2 minutes.
Mirin is sweetened sake. You can sub three parts sherry to one part sugar or omit if it is difficult to find.
Both mirin and sriracha would be in Asian food section of your grocery store.
Keywords: Asian inspired sauce, sausage and peppers, sausage and peppers recipe, sausage peppers and onions, skillet dinner, recipes using chicken sausage