This family friendly low carb Steak and Cheese Skillet is made with beef steak, onions, bell peppers, a super simple brandy sauce and topped with melted provolone cheese. The end result is a tasty treat the whole family can enjoy! I love to serve this with Vinegar Coleslaw and Lemon Drop Martini.
Do you like Philly Steak & Cheese but don’t need or want the carbs! Here is your solution! This is fabulously delicious and easy. If you are not watching your carbs grab a nice soft hoagie roll or better yet a soft french banquette. Lightly toast it and layer on that juicy steak, peppers and cheese. Either way life does not get much better than this! It has a scrumptious sauce that melds the steak, peppers and cheese into one tantalizing treat!
How do you make Steak and Cheese Skillet
Start by heating a little canola oil in a skillet over medium to medium high heat. Now add the steak and cook until browned. Next remove the browned beef from the skillet, cover and keep warm. Now heat a little more canola oil over medium heat and add the onions and peppers. Cook about 4-5 minutes or until the onions are lightly browning on the edges. Now put the onions and pepper over the steak and cover to keep warm.
Next heat a little more oil in the same pan over low heat. Add minced garlic and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. Turn off the heat and slowly add brandy waiting just 1-2 minutes for the fumes to dissipate. Then over a low simmer reduce the volume by half. Finally add the ginger, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mirin, sriracha and ketchup. Simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
In the final step add the steak, onions and pepper back to the skillet. Layer with cheese and place in the oven for about 5 minutes turning on the broiler for the last 1-2 minutes of cooking to lightly brown the cheese.
Helpful tips for making steak and cheese skillet
- Slice your steak and veggies thin and cook over medium high heat. Think of the steak and veggies as stir frying and you will love the results.
- Alcohol and its fumes are flammable. Turn off the heat and slowly add the brandy waiting 1-2 minutes for the fumes to dissipate before turning the heat back on low. It is always smart to keep a fire extinguisher within about 30 feet from your stove.
- Beef broth may be substituted for the brandy but reduce to 1/2 cup please.
- Provel is a combination of cheddar, Swiss and provolone cheese. Unless you live in the Midwest it may be very difficult to find. A good substitution is provolone however you can certainly make your own combination cheese.
- Broilers are very unpredictable so if at all possible turn it on low. Use my cooking times only as a reference, stay close by and check on the skillet.
More steak recipes you will love!
- Philly Steak and Cheese Egg Rolls
- Marinated Herb Butter T Bone Steaks
- Grilled Flank Steak
- Steak Diane
- Honey Garlic Steak Bites
This post was originally published March 20, 2015 and was republished January 9, 2020 with new content.Print
Steak and Cheese Skillet
Crisp stir fried steak, onions and peppers are combined in a tangy sauce and layered with cheese. It is then placed in the oven for the cheese to melt and lightly brown.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: main meal beef
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 lbs beef steak cut into bite size pieces
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper julienned
- 1 red bell pepper julienned
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper julienned
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2/3 cup brandy
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin (see notes)
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- 1/3 cup ketchup (preferably low or no sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups provel ropes or grated provolone cheese
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to oven proof skillet over medium high heat. Keeping heat high enough brown steak. Remove from skillet, cover and keep warm.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and peppers; cook for 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned on edges. Stir several times. Remove from pan and place over beef, cover and keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon canola oil to skillet over low heat; add garlic and cook for 1 minute stirring several times. Add brandy and cook to reduce volume by half. Add ginger, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mirin, sriracha and ketchup. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add steak, onions and peppers back to the skillet. Top with cheese. Place in oven for 5 minutes. Turn oven to low broil and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted and lightly browned.
- Cover the handle of the skillet before placing in oven if it is not an oven proof skillet.
- Be careful adding the brandy as it is flammable.
- Mirin is sweetened sake and is available at some finer grocery stores in the oriental food section. You can substitute 3 teaspoons sherry and 1 teaspoon sugar combined.
Keywords: how to make steak and cheese, Philly steak and cheese, steak and cheese recipe