Sock It To Me Cake is a traditional southern butter cake with a ring of cinnamon pecan streusel that runs through the center. This delectable treat is quick to come together and easy utilizing a butter cake mix yet tastes as good as any made from scratch cake.
Every now and then we need a little something for our sweet tooth around here. This Sock It To Me Cake is one of our favorites and it comes together quite quickly. You can have the whole thing mixed and in the oven in about 20 minutes. It stays moist for days and is one of those cakes that tastes better the second day.
How do you make Sock It To Me Cake?
First in a small bowl mix together cinnamon, brown sugar, pecans and a little bit of the dried cake mix. Go ahead and set that aside while you mix the rest of the cake. In a large mixing bowl add the rest of the cake mix, oil, sour cream, water, eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until just combined scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl.
Next grease and flour a twelve cup bundt pan. Now pour in about 2/3’s of the mixed cake batter into the pan. Spoon the streusel into the center using a small spoon working all the way around the cake. Gently pour the rest of the batter over the top.
Bake the cake in a preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until set. Let cool for about 20 minutes before carefully inverting on to serving platter. Finally whisk together milk and powdered sugar. Drizzle over the fully cooled cake.
Why is it called a “Sock It To Me Cake”?
I am sure that many of you remember the show Rowen and Martin’s Laugh-In with the sock it to me skit. It was a very popular comedy show that aired from 1968 – 1973. This cake also became trendy during the same period. The resounding affectionate answer when anyone was asked whether they would like a piece of this cake was “Sock It To Me.” The cake quickly became named after that popular phrase.
Helpful tips for making Sock It To Me Cake
- Grease and flour your pan well. I use Bakers Joy which is a nonstick spray with flour and it works very well for me.
- If you do not have a bundt pan you can also bake in a 9×13 pan sprinkling the streusel in 3 lines down the length of the pan.
- Chop your pecans fairly fine therefore making it easier to spread the cinnamon mixture in the center of the batter.
- We are huge cinnamon lovers here! However if you are not as much of a cinnamon fan you can swirl the cinnamon nut mixture or cut the cinnamon back some.
- We like a light glaze on the cake but if you prefer a heavier glaze than double the glaze ingredients.
Other cake recipes you will love!!Print
Sock It To Me Cake
The delicious cake with a fun name. Sock It To Me Cake is a super easy butter cake with a delectable cinnamon pecan swirl running through it.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: cake
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Southern
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter cake mix
- 1 (18.25 ounce) butter cake mix (less 2 tablespoons for streusel)
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (please see notes)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour bundt pan.
- In a small bowl mix together cinnamon, brown sugar, pecans and 2 tablespoons dried cake mix.
- In a large mixing bowl add the remaining cake mix, oil, sour cream, water, eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until combined scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl.
- Pour 2/3’s of the batter into the pan. Spoon the streusel into the center using a small spoon working all the way around the cake. Gently pour the rest of the batter over the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until set. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes before inverting.
- Whisk together milk and powdered sugar. Drizzle over fully cooled cake.
- We prefer a light drizzle on this cake since it is already quite sweet. If you prefer a heavier drizzle double the powdered sugar and milk.
Keywords: southern sock it to me cake, sock it to me cake, cake, butter cake, butter cake with cinnamon pecan swirl, bundt cake, bundt cake with cinnamon pecan swirl