This Rum Cake recipe is an easy super moist cake with a butter rum glaze that soaks in and takes this cake to a whole new level of deliciousness.
This is one of my favorite cakes. It is made super simple with a yellow butter cake mix but tastes just as delicious as a cake made from scratch. This like many cakes tastes even better the second day as the butter rum glaze has plenty of time to soak in the cake. I love to take this easy cake, Earthquake Cake, Kentucky Butter Cake and Easy Cherry Dump Cake to potlucks and family reunions.
How do you make Rum Cake?
First spray the bundt pan with a nonstick baking spray. Then chop the pecans and sprinkle into the bottom of the pan. Next in a large bowl combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, milk, vanilla, vegetable oil and rum. Using a mixer beat on low for about 2 minutes or blend well with a spoon. Pour the cake into the pan and bake in a preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, in a saucepan over medium heat combine butter, sugar and water. Bring to a low boil stirring constantly. Boil for a few minutes and remove from the heat. Now carefully and slowly stir in the rum as it may bubble up.
When the cake is removed from the oven pour half the butter rum glaze over the bottom of the cake and down the sides. Let the cake sit in the pan for about 15-20 minutes before inverting. Once inverted brush the remaining glaze over the top.
Helpful tips for making Rum Cake
- Coat the baking pan well with nonstick baking spray or grease well and lightly flour.
- Chopped walnuts can be substituted for the pecans.
- This cake is even more delectable the second day so if possible make it a day in advance.
- Rum is flammable so remove the pan from heat and turn the burner completely off. Add it carefully and slowly as it does cause the very hot mixture to bubble up.
- The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While it is still in the pan pour half of the butter rum glaze over the cakes bottom and down the sides. Let it sit for 15 minutes before inverting. Brush the rest of the glaze over the top of the cake.
- Cover tightly and store at room temperature for 3 days or in the refrigerator for 5 days. Triple wrap and freeze for up to 3 months.
This cake is easy, delicious and moist. Put the ingredients on your shopping list and make your family an awesome dessert. Leave me a comment and let me know what you think.
This post was originally published January 4, 2016 and was republished May 20, 2020 with new content.
Easy Rum Cake
A moist easy Rum Cake with a butter rum glaze that comes together quickly using a yellow butter cake mix. In less than fifteen minutes prep time you have the perfect dessert for potlucks, family reunions and holiday parties.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 16 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package butter cake mix (15.25 ounce)
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix (3.4 ounce)
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup rum (plain or spiced)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour a 9 or 10 inch Bundt pan. Sprinkle pecans in the bottom of the bundt pan.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix and pudding mix, eggs, milk, vanilla, vegetable oil and 1/2 cup rum. Using a mixer beat on low for about 2 minutes or blend well with a spoon. Pour in prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile combine butter, sugar and water in small saucepan. Bring to a boil over low heat stirring constantly. Continue to boil for 3-4 minutes while stirring. Remove from heat; slowly and carefully add 1/2 cup of rum.
- When cake is done and removed from oven pour half the glaze over the bottom and down the sides of cake while it is in the pan. Wait 15 minutes; invert the cake on to serving dish. Brush the removing glaze over the tops and sides of the cake.
Keywords: rum soaked cake, grandma's rum cake recipe, how to make rum cake