These delicious family friendly Homemade Sloppy Joes come together quickly using many ingredients that you may already have on hand. This is one of our favorite family go to recipes and prefect for busy weeknights. I love to serve them with Pan Fried Potatoes with Green Beans and Summer Fruit Salad.
To me the Sloppy Joe is as all American as hot dogs and french fries. My family just loves these simple yet tasty Super Easy Family Friendly Sloppy Joes! They are the perfect blend of ingredients without being overly spicy or ridiculously bland. If you do like the heat than add a pinch of crushed red pepper, a pinch of cayenne or even one teaspoon of sriracha.
The Sloppy Joe has been around since the 1950s. It came about as a variation on what used to be referred to as loose meat sandwiches. Legend has it that Joe, a cook at Floyd Angell’s café in Sioux City, Iowa, added tomato sauce to a loose meat sandwich and that was the start of what we now call the Sloppy Joe. Thanks Joe! I appreciate your creativity and so does my family!!
How do you make Homemade Sloppy Joes?
Start by browning your ground beef. Add the onions and peppers and cook for a few minutes or until softened. Next carefully drain any excess fat. Now add the apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, Kansas City Style Barbecue Sauce and ketchup. Simmer for about twenty minutes over low heat. Serve over any soft roll or for a change of pace serve over cooked rice or egg noodles
Can you make Homemade Sloppy Joes in a crock pot?
Yes you most certainly can! First simply brown your ground beef draining any excess fat. Then add it and the other ingredients to the crock pot. Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low 4-5 hours.
Helpful tips for making Homemade Sloppy Joes
- Use lean ground beef and drain any excess grease before adding the ingredients for the sauce.
- If the mixture seems to be a little more dry than you like it simply add a little more barbecue sauce and/or ketchup.
- Spoon over brioche buns, fresh baked hamburger buns, rice or pasta.
- To spice it up add a couple pinches of crushed red pepper, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne or 1 teaspoon of sriracha.
Put the ingredients on your shopping list today. Your family will be singing your praises!
More ground recipes you will love!
This post was originally published February 19, 2018 and was republished March 19, 2020 with new content.Print
Homemade Sloppy Joes
Delectable family friendly easy weeknight Homemade Sloppy Joes made with many common pantry ingredients. The recipe requires limited hands on time and is ready in under 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 10 servings 1x
- Category: main meal beef
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small green pepper finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup Kansas City style barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 8–10 soft hamburger buns
- Over medium heat in large skillet brown ground beef. Drain any excess grease. Add onion and pepper and cook for additional 2-3 minutes. Add cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, barbecue sauce and ketchup.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes and spoon on to buns.
Keywords: family friendly, ground beef, hamburger, sloppy joe, how to make sloppy joes, best sloppy joe recipe, sloppy joe mix, sloppy joe sauce