These little beauties are so simple!! Now keep in mind this is one of those recipes that needs to be eaten straight out of the oven. Kind of like my Toasted Ravioli!! Some recipes just do not taste near as well if you wait. I am going to go out a limb here and state that any breaded recipe needs to be eaten right after the cooking process. These light oven baked Zucchini and Yellow Squash Parmesan Chips are coated with fresh bread crumbs, spices and Parmesan.
You can feel good about these jobbers. They are oven baked…leaving them lighter and less calorie dense. Zucchini and yellow squash have incredibly low calories and that makes them a great part of any meal plan. Zucchini and yellow squash both contain good amounts of potassium which helps reduce blood pressure. You can serve these up with some light yogurt ranch dressing or marinara.
To avoid getting breading fingers use one hand to dip in egg mixture and one hand to bread the zucchini. This will avoid the need to constantly wash your hands and wasted breading mixture. No one wants the dreaded breading fingers!! Enjoy!!
Zucchini and Yellow Squash Chips
- 1 medium zucchini sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 medium yellow squash sliced in 1/4 inch rounds
- 1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 eggs lighlty beaten
- Olive oil spray
- Yogurt ranch dressing (optional)
- Marinara dressing (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly spray large cookie sheet with olive oil spray.
- In small shallow bowl mix bread crumbs, Parmesan, oregano, basil, garlic powder and pepper.
- Dip zucchini and yellow squash rounds in egg and then in breadcrumb mixture pressing to get mixture to adhere. Place in single layer on cookie sheet. Spray the tops with olive oil spray.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes flipping halfway through the cooking process.
- Serve immediately.
I grind croutons in my food processor to make breadcrumbs. I find that the croutons have more natural ingredients than commercially processed breadcrumbs.
Other appetizers you might love!!