Baked Mostaccioli combines Italian sausage, peppers, garlic, onions and marinara all blanketed in oodles of mozzarella and provolone cheese. It is family friendly and guaranteed to please! For a complete guest worthy meal serve with Triple Cheese Garlic Bread and Italian Chopped Salad with Fresh Italian Dressing.
This is not your lunch ladies mostaccioli! Or your wedding day mostaccioli. This delicious Baked Mostaccioli is loaded with fresh Italian sausage, sweet onions, green bell peppers, minced garlic, and marinara. It is then topped with fresh Parmesan, mozzarella and provolone cheese. Baked Mostaccioli can be prepped in advance, loaded in the refrigerator and baked at the optimum time.
We are one pasta loving family. So easy, comforting and so darn delicious every time. Are you and yours pasta lovers? Have you tried any of my other pasta dishes? Parmesan Pasta, Pasta con Broccoli, Bacon Asparagus Cajun Pasta, and this recipe are just a few of our favorites.
How to make Baked Mostaccioli
First cook your mostaccioli noodles al dente according to package instructions and drain well. Meanwhile in a large skillet over medium heat brown the sausage. When almost completely browned add the green pepper and onions. Cook until the onions and green peppers begin to soften. Then add the minced garlic and cook for one minute. Now remove the pan from the heat and drain any excess grease.
Next combine the cooked sausage mixture, cooked mostacccioli, and marinara in a large casserole dish. Then top with the grated Parmesan, shredded mozzarella and shredded Provolone. Finally bake about twenty five minutes or until the cheese is melted and very lightly browned.
What to serve with Baked Mostaccioli.
- Italian Salad
- Garden Salad
- Bread Sticks
- Garlic Cheese Bread
- Minestrone Soup
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Puff Pastry Pinwheels
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Fresh Fruit Salad
Helpful hints on making this Baked Mostaccioli epic.
- Cook the mostaccioli al dente which means still somewhat firm. As it will be baked for a bit with the sausage, veggies and sauce. You don’t want to overcook it.
- Use good quality Italian sausage. Most butcher shops make their own, Consequently it tastes so much better than the processed sausage with all the preservatives in it.
- Chop the green pepper and onion fairly fine so you get a little bit of each in almost every bite.
- Use a high quality tasty marinara. They really have come a long way with jarred marinara. Some of them taste pretty darn good and do not have any preservatives in them.
- Grate and shred your cheese fresh from the block. That way you will not have preservatives, added enzymes and cellulose.
This hearty Baked Mostaccioli is simple, dependable, delicious and easy on the pocket book. Put the ingredients on your shopping list today! Make your family an awesome meal that you can feel good about today
This post was originally published July 21, 2015 and was republished September 4, 2020 with new content.Print
A super easy family friendly classic casserole with mostaccioli, Italian Sausage, peppers, onions, garlic and marinara. It is covered in a blanket of delicious Italian cheeses and baked to perfection.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 40
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: pasta
- Method: stove top and bake
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 lb box mostaccioli
- 1 lb bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large green pepper seeded, veined and chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4–5 cups marinara
- 1 1/2 cups provel ropes or provolone shredded
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- Salt and pepper
- Cook mostaccioli following box instructions and drain well.
- Brown sausage in skillet on medium heat. Remove sausage to plate; cover and keep warm.
- Add peppers and onions to same skillet over medium high heat. Cook 3-5 minutes or until edges of onions start to brown. Add garlic and cook 1 additional minute. Remove from heat.
- Combine the cooked sausage mixture, cooked mostacccioli, and marinara in a large casserole dish. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with provel, mozzarella and parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until cheese is melted and started to brown just a touch.
Keywords: how to make mostaccioli, best mostaccioli recipe, mostaccioli pasta