This Chicken and Dumpling Recipe has a really amazing twist to it. The chicken is lightly breaded and seasoned before adding to the stew. It gives it more crunch, flavor and texture and is one of my families favorite dishes.
This Chicken and dumplings Recipe is one of my favorite meals It is the ultimate comfort dish and sometimes life just calls for that! This recipe has a bit of an unusual twist as the chicken is breaded and pan fried before it is added to the stew for extra flavor. Don’t add the chicken till you are ready to serve. It takes Chicken and Dumplings to an all new high. You won’t believe how amazing this tastes till you try it!!
How to make The Best Chicken and Dumplings.
Saute the onions celery and carrots and then transfer to stock pot with chicken broth. Stir butter and flour together to make a thick paste and using a fork whisk into the chicken broth/veggies. Lightly bread the chicken and cook in skillet with a little bit of butter. Prepare dumpling dough and drop in stew by rounded tablespoons. Cover and cook for fifteen minutes. Cut chicken and add to bowls with stew and dumplings! Scrumptious!
Have you tried any of my other chicken recipes? Chicken is just so versatile, inexpensive and easy to cook with. Here are some of my favorite chicken recipes! Some are my recipes and some are from my favorite bloggers!
- Easy Pan Fried Chicken Kiev
- Quick and Easy Lemon Chicken
- Easy Chicken Parmesan
- Bacon Brown Sugar Chicken
- Chicken Pad Thai
- Grilled Marinated Chicken
- Garlic Chicken Piccata
- Easy Skillet Chicken Alfredo Pasta
- Chicken Scallopini
- Skillet Puff Pastry Chicken Pot Pie
Helpful hints on cooking Chicken and Dumplings!
- After cooking the breaded chicken you can place in oven on warm but do not cover. You want it to stay crisp and crunchy.
- Do not mix the dumpling dough ahead of time. If does much better if mixed a few minutes prior to being added.
- Do not lift the lid when cooking the dumplings. They do not want to be disturbed.
- When adding the dumplings the stew should be at a low boil. After adding the dumpling reduce to simmer. A simmer is when fine but constant small bubbles are happening. Clear lids help with this. You don’t want to burn the stew to the bottom of the pot.
Succulent chicken and sweet tender dumpling have a way of washing away all that stress. Doesn’t that just look so wonderful. So stop arguing with the kids about homework. Put the dog outside and make yourself a treat! You deserve it.
Happy eating my friends!
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 large carrots sliced in rounds
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts sliced into 6 tenders
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute veggies until onions start to brown on edges; approximately 3-4 minutes. Add the parsley, onion powder and poultry seasoning. Remove from heat.
- Heat 5 cups low sodium chicken broth in large saucepan. Add veggies and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Combine the 3 tablespoons melted butter and 3 tablespoons flour to make roux. Add the roux to the broth mixture 1 tablespoon at a time and stirring well with whisk. The broth should start to thicken fairly quickly.
- Salt & pepper both sides of the chicken. Mix egg and milk in shallow bowl. Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture then in the flour. Repeat back in the egg mixture and then in flour. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil & 1 tablespoon butter in skillet and brown all sides of the chicken. Remove from heat and place in oven on warm.
- For dumplings mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in butter with pastry cutter. When crumbly add milk and stir just until combined. Drop by small spoonfuls into simmering stew. Cover and cook for 15 minutes without removing the lid.
- Slice chicken and serve right in the bowl next to the dumpling stew.