These Grilled Meatloaf Sandwiches have been a favorite of ours for as long as I can remember. Sometimes I think we make meatloaf just for the sandwiches. Don’t skip the Chipotle ketchup as it complements the sandwich so well.
These Grilled Meatloaf Sandwiches take leftovers to a whole new level. Now add my chipotle ketchup and you have yourself an exceptionally tasty treat. I love to serve them with Beer Battered Onion Rings with Dipping Sauce and Grandma’s Creamy Dill Pickle Potato Salad. You can use any kind of meatloaf made from beef, turkey, pork, vegetarian or a combination. So easy to do with your favorite meatloaf leftovers. You will wonder how you ever lived without this!!
How do you make Grilled Meatloaf Sandwiches?
Start by mixing together the ketchup, chopped chipotle chile, adobo sauce and balsamic vinegar together. Set that aside for just a few minutes while you make the meatloaf sandwiches.
Next layer a piece of cheese on a slice of bread. Then simply slice your meatloaf into pieces that will fit on your bread. I usually slice mine about 1/3 inch thick. Next layer the meatloaf slices on top of the cheese. Now follow it up with another slice of cheese and another piece of bread.
Now heat a large skillet over medium to medium low heat. Butter one side of the bread and flip that side down on to the skillet. Butter the top slices of bread and cover the skillet loosely with aluminum foil. Once the sandwiches are golden brown on the bottom flip and brown the other side. Serve warm with the Chipotle Ketchup.
What are chipotle peppers and where do you find them?
Chipotle peppers are jalapeno peppers that have been aged, dried and smoked. They are earthy, robust and smokey yet still incredibly spicy. You can find them canned with adobo sauce in the Mexican food section of most local grocery stores. Adobo sauce is a slightly sweet tangy rich reddish brown sauce made with ground ancho and guajillo chiles.
The combination of the two is a taste sensation. One chopped chipotle pepper with a little bit of the adobo sauce can take your Mexican and southwestern recipes over the top. Store the remaining chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month.
More sandwiches you will love!
- Po Boy Sandwich
- Egg Sandwich
- Italian Pressed Sandwich
- Crock Pot Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Easy Chicken Sandwich Melts
This post was originally published February 1, 2016 and was republished March 5, 2020 with new content.Print
Grilled Meatloaf Sandwich with Chipotle Ketchup
An easy family friendly recipe that comes together in a matter of minutes. These Grilled Meatloaf sandwiches can be adapted to your families taste by using your favorite cheese and adjusting the amount of chopped chipotle pepper and adobo sauce added to the ketchup.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Total Time: 12 minutes
- Yield: 2 sandwiches 1x
- Category: main meal beef
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1–2 teaspoons chopped chipotle chile from canned chipotles (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from can (see notes)
- 1 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 slices leftover meatloaf 1/3 inch thick
- 8 slices Italian bread
- 4 slices white American cheese
- 4 slices baby Swiss
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Pickles (optional)
- In small bowl mix ketchup, chopped chipotle chile, adobo sauce and balsamic vinegar.
- Layer American Cheese, meatloaf, Swiss and pickles on bread. Top with bread slice creating 4 sandwiches. Butter tops and bottoms of the sandwiches.
- Brown in skillet over medium low heat. Cover with foil while cooking so the cheese melts properly and the sandwich warms.
- Serve with chipotle ketchup
- Chipotle chiles (also known as chipotle peppers) can be found in the Mexican food section of your local grocery store.
- Adjust the amount of chipotle chiles and adobo sauce to your taste.
Keywords: best grilled meatloaf sandwich, grilled cheese meatloaf sandwich, meatloaf sandwiches, leftover meatloaf sandwich, best meatloaf sandwich