This creamy Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is made with seven easy ingredients like cream, mint flavoring and chopped chocolate in your ice cream maker. There is nothing better than fresh homemade ice cream. This is one of our favorite ice cream treats along with Chocolate Ice Cream, Vanilla Ice Cream, and Strawberry Ice Cream.
We are huge ice cream fans so it goes without saying that we make a lot of ice cream especially in the summer months. Sometimes we make super easy no churn ice creams and sometimes we make batches in our electric ice cream maker. No matter how we make it ice cream is always a sweet creamy delicious summer treat!
How do you make Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream?
Start by whisking together the half and half and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Now whisk in the cream, mint extract, vanilla extract and a little bit of green food coloring if desired. Next pour the contents into the bowl of your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions. After about 20 minutes add the finely chopped chocolate. Now churn for another 5-10 minutes. Then check the ice cream as it is possible to over churn ice cream.
What chocolate is best for chips in ice cream?
Always use a good quality chocolate bar. I like to use a combination of very finely chopped semisweet and milk chocolate. Remember to chop it really fine so bits of it melt in your mouth. Stay away from the chocolate chips. They might be easier but they are way too large and they are more difficult to chop. I like to use the Ghriradelli semisweet baking bar. Dove candy bars also work very well and they come in a variety of chocolate flavors so you can experiment with them to see which ones you like best.
Tips for making Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Use mint extract and not peppermint extract. It may be a little harder to find but it really does make a huge difference.
- Don’t cut down on the fat. The fat is what makes ice cream creamy and smooth.
- This ice cream will need to churn for about 25-35 minutes however you need to check on it after 25 minutes because it is possible to over churn ice cream.
- Use good quality semisweet, dark or milk chocolate. Chop it very fine so the chocolate melts in your mouth.
- The food coloring is not a must but it does give it that familiar mint color that we are accustomed to.
This post was originally published June 26, 2015 and was republished July 6, 2020 with new content.Print
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
This scrumptious mint ice cream has tiny bits of chocolate that melt in your mouth. It is made with eight easy ingredients in your electric ice cream maker in less than 30 minutes.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: ice cream churner
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups half n half
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mint extract
- 4–5 drops green food coloring
- 3 ounces Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate finely chopped
- 1 ounce dove milk chocolate finely chopped
- Whisk together half and half and sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Whisk in cream, vanilla extract, mint extract and a little bit of green food coloring if desired.
- Pour the contents into the bowl of your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturers instructions. After 20 minutes add the chopped chocolate. Churn for an additional 5-7 minutes before checking the ice cream as it is possible to over churn ice cream.
- Pour into a freezer container or loaf pan and store in the freezer.
Keywords: best mint chocolate chip ice cream, homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream, how to make mint chocolate chip ice cream