Oatmeal Biscuits are soft sweet biscuits made from flour, oatmeal, butter, honey and milk. They are delicious for breakfast with scrambled eggs or omelettes. Or you can enjoy them for dinner with stews or soups. I love to serve them with Baked Creamy Herb Parmesan Eggs or Creamy Asparagus Potato Soup.
Oatmeal Biscuits are such a treat. They are one of our family favorites and so simple and quick to make. You can serve them with fresh fruit, roasted chicken or even pasta. They are spiced up with a little bit of cinnamon and ground cloves and lathered with honey and butter.
How do you make Oatmeal Biscuits?
Start by whisking the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground cloves and salt together. Cut in the butter using a pastry knife until it is crumbly. Stir in the oats, milk and honey just until it is moistened. Move to a well floured work space and pat out to about 1/2-3/4 inch thick. Cut with a floured biscuit cutter and place on a parchment covered baking sheet.
Melt butter in the microwave on a reduced power and stir in the honey. Using a pastry brush lightly coat the tops of the biscuits with the honey butter and bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
Helpful tips for making Oatmeal Biscuits
- Use old fashioned rolled oats verses quick oats. They make a heartier tastier biscuit.
- I have always found that real unsalted butter is best in biscuits. There is just something about butter that makes everything better.
- Don’t over-mix the dough. Mix just until incorporated so the dough does not get tough.
- Space them far enough apart when baking for the warm oven air to flow around the biscuits.
- Bake on the middle rack in the center of the oven.
- Store up to three days in an airtight container or zipper bag. Or double wrap in freezer bags for up to two months.
Other sweet breakfasts you will love!
- Buttermilk Bacon Pancakes
- Apple Fritter
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping
- Strawberry Bread with Whipped Strawberry Butter
- Cinnamon Rolls with Bourbon Soaked Raisins
These sweet cinnamon oatmeal honey biscuits are in the oven in less than fifteen minutes and are delicious served with eggs, soups, stews and even chili.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 biscuits 1x
- Category: bread and rolls
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup butter (well chilled)
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cover large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ground cloves. Cut in butter using a pastry knife until crumbly. Stir in oats, milk and honey; just until moistened. Move to well floured work space and pat out to about 1/2-3/4 inch thick. Cut with 2 1/2 inch floured biscuit cutter. Rework dough and cut more biscuits. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Stir together melted butter and honey. Using a pastry brush lightly coat tops of biscuits with honey butter. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
Keywords: healthy oatmeal biscuits, oatmeal biscuits, oatmeal biscuits recipe, Irish oatmeal biscuits, Irish oatmeal biscuits recipe, oatmeal breakfast biscuits, oatmeal flour biscuits, Scottish oatmeal biscuits recipe