Smoked Salmon Patties are scrumptious fish cakes filled with smoked salmon, dill, and a touch of Parmesan Cheese. They are flaky and flavorful on the inside, with a crispy and crunchy texture on the outside. You can serve it with fresh lemon wedges or my easy dill mayo. For a complete meal, serve with Parmesan Herb Potatoes and a simple salad or Vinegar Coleslaw.
This is one of our favorite dishes because they are so incredibly yummy and easy to make! These delectable patties are made with smoked salmon. My mother-in-law used to make hers with canned salmon and to be honest with you. I much prefer the taste of a piece of clean, smoked, flaky fish. However, you can make these with canned pink salmon. Just make sure you drain the can well, and pick through it to remove any bones and skin.
Now combine that scrumptious flaked salmon with breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, mayo, Dijon mustard, eggs, dill, pepper, and Parmesan, and pan-fry it in a little olive oil. Then it becomes a little piece of heaven in an otherwise crazy world.
How do you make Smoked Salmon Patties?
Combine the smoked salmon, panko breadcrumbs, minced onion, minced garlic, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, eggs, dill weed, fresh cracked black pepper, and freshly grated Parmesan in a large bowl. Stir to combine and shape the mixture with your hands into somewhat small patties.
Now heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until golden brown on both sides. This only takes 2-3 minutes per side. Try to resist the urge to flip more than once since they can break apart if flipped too early.
Sauce for Salmon Patties
You can serve these Salmon Cakes with lemon wedges, aioli, homemade tartar sauce, or honey mustard Sauce. We love this dill mayo with the patties. To make it mix together mayonnaise, fresh lemon juice, dill weed, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Serve the dill mayo with the warm salmon patties.
- For optimal flavor, buy good quality smoked salmon. Costco sells some really great brands.
- Use freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Don’t purchase the stuff in the cans.
- Other seasonings and fresh herbs to consider adding are chopped fresh parsley, Old Bay Seasoning, or even a little Cajun seasoning.
- If at all possible, use fresh chopped dill. Spring is the perfect time to plant an herb garden. Most herbs are very easy to take care of, with the exception of cilantro.
- Mince the onion and garlic fine, as these are small patties that cook for a short time.
- You can substitute vegetable oil or canola oil for the olive oil.
- Use any kind of breadcrumbs or cracker crumbs like saltine crackers or Ritz crackers.
- Resist the urge to use added salt, as smoked salmon and Parmesan cheese will provide are already salty.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or in a skillet.
- To freeze, first fully cool, then place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Make sure there is a little space between the patties. Then place the baking sheet on a level surface in the freezer until they are fully frozen. Transfer to a freezer container or freezer zipper bag. This allows you to remove as many or as few as you want. Thaw in the fridge over and reheat in the oven or the skillet.
What to serve with salmon patties
- Starches – rice, angel hair pasta, roasted red potatoes, french fries, homemade chips, or lemon Greek Potatoes.
- Veggies – broccoli, cauliflower, salad, green beans almondine, coleslaw, or roasted Brussels sprouts.
- Dipping Sauce – tartar sauce, boom boom sauce, comeback sauce, honey mustard sauce, yum yum sauce.
More seafood recipes
Smoked Salmon Patty Recipe
Smoked Salmon Patties are scrumptious fish cakes filled with smoked salmon, dill and a touch of Parmesan Cheese. Serve them as patties or on a bun as salmon burgers.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 12 patties
- Category: seafood
- Method: pan fry
- Cuisine: Southern
- 1 lb smoked salmon skin removed and flaked
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine the smoked salmon, panko breadcrumbs, minced onion, garlic, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, eggs, dill weed, black pepper, and grated Parmesan in a large bowl. Stir to combine and shape with your hands into small patties.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the patties until golden brown on both sides, approximately 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, fresh lemon juice, dill weed, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Serve the dill mayo with warm salmon patties.
Keywords: how to make salmon patties, how to cook salmon patties, salmon patty recipe, salmon patties recipe