This bright and colorful Succotash Recipe is a delicious summer salad that is easy to make and quick to come together. It is the perfect summer grilling side. We love to serve it with Grilled Marinated Chicken, Grilled Flank Steak and Marinated Herb Butter T-Bone Steaks.
Chances are pretty good that you may know nothing about Succotash. In fact the only thing that you may know about Succotash is that the cartoon character, Sylvester the cat used to say “Sufferin succotash.” This Succotash Recipe combines lima beans, black eyed peas, sun ripened tomatoes, sweet corn, onions, garlic, okra, crisp smoked bacon, fresh chives and paprika into a delectable side dish or light meal.
How do you make Summer Succotash Recipe?
Start by frying the bacon in a large skillet, preferably a cast iron reserving the bacon grease. Add the onions and okra cooking over medium heat until the edges on the onions and okra begin to brown. Reduce the heat to low and add the garlic and butter the last minute of cooking. Remove from the heat and let cool while you start prepping the rest.
Meanwhile heat the grill to medium. Add the corn and cook until lightly charred. This will take about 15 -20 minutes. Turn the corn about every 5 minutes. Once cooled cut the kernels off the cobs.
Drain and rinse the lima beans and black eyed peas. Grab a large bowl and add the lima beans, black eyed peas, tomatoes and corn. Add the cooled onions, okra and garlic making sure to add the butter too. Toss in the crisp bacon, chives, paprika, cider vinegar and season with plenty of salt and pepper to taste. This recipe is best served promptly but I have reheated to room temperature in the microwave on a reduced power with good success.
Helpful tips for making this Summer Succotash Recipe awesome
- Use either fresh, frozen or canned lima beans and black eyed peas
- If available purchase nitrate free smoked bacon.
- Fresh garden tomatoes and corn are excellent in this as the tomatoes and corn are the stars of the show.
- Cook the corn on the grill until lightly charred and tender.
- If possible use fresh okra although if not available you can substitute frozen okra.
- For a change of taste substitute parsley, basil or cilantro for the chopped chives.
- For best results serve this dish promptly although I have refrigerated and reheated at a low power in the microwave to bring it back to room temperature with fairly good results.
This Summer Succotash Recipe is delicious, easy and quick. What are you waiting for? Put the ingredients on your shopping list today and wow your family.
More summer salad recipes you will love!
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Corn Salad with Easy Lime Vinaigrette
- Greek Orzo Salad
- Easy Italian Pasta Salad
- Caesar Pasta Salad
Summer Succotash Recipe with Bacon and Okra
This bright and colorful Succotash Recipe is a delicious summer salad that is easy to make and quick to come together. It is the perfect summer grilling side.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: vegetable salad
- Method: stove top/grill
- Cuisine: Southern
- 4 slices smoked bacon
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups okra sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can (15 ounces) lima beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 4 ears corn shucked and silks removed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- Fry bacon in a heavy skillet over medium heat; reserving bacon grease. Remove to paper towels to drain. Coarsely chop.
- Add onion and okra to skillet. Cook until lightly browned on the edges; approximately 5-7 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add garlic and butter; cook for 1 minute stirring several times. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Heat grill to medium. Cook corn for 15-20 minutes; turn every 5 minutes. Once cooled cut kernels from the cob.
- In a large bowl combine the lima beans, black eyed peas, corn, tomatoes. Gently stir in the cooled onions, okra, garlic and butter. Toss in the crisp bacon, chives, paprika and cider vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: summer succotash, succotash, classic succotash, succotash salad, succotash with bacon, succotash with bacon and chive, summer salad, summer vegetable salad