Easy Baked Sweet Potato Fries are french fried cut pieces of sweet potato coated with a perfect blend of smokey spices and cooked to crispy perfection The end result is mild yet flavorful.
Do you like sweet potatoes. So much delicious flavor packed in one potato. Have you ever had a sweet potato topped with salsa? They are simply amazing! I love sweet potatoes and they are so versatile. These Easy Baked Sweet Potato Fries are delicious and they make the perfect accompaniment for my Dutch Oven Barbecue Beef Brisket or my Dry Rub Baked Ribs or even my Dry Rub Sweet Barbecue Pork Tenderloin.
They are french fried cut pieces of sweet potato coated with a perfect blend of smokey spiced heat. I know what your thinking! You can’t take the heat. The end result is mild but flavorful. The combination works like a fine tuned instrument. Okay you say but you are still so sensitive to spice than cut the cayenne pepper down to a pinch. For those of you that absolutely love the heat you may want to kick it up a notch.
How do you make Sweet Potato Fries?
These amazingly tasty Easy Baked Sweet Potato Fries require a little advance preparation. First cut the potatoes in fry shape a little more than a 1/3 inch thick. In order for your sweet potato fries to turn out crispy soak the cut potatoes in COLD water for at least 45 minutes. This soaking pulls out the excess starch and helps make your fries crispy. After draining the water pat dry with paper towels.
In a large Ziploc bag add the canola oil and shake to coat. In a small bowl mix together cornstarch, cumin, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne pepper. Sprinkle the seasoning in the Ziploc bag with the potatoes and shake to coat. Place the seasoned sweet potatoes on cookie sheets coated with nonstick spray. Leave enough space for heat between them for the heat to circulate. Bake for fifteen minutes. Turn and bake for another ten minutes.
Helpful tips for making Sweet Potato Fries
- Always preheat your oven
- Cut your fries in as uniform size and shape as possible. This helps to ensure even cooking.
- After soaking in water dry the sweet potatoes well with paper towels.
- Coat the baking sheet well with non stick cooking spray. Do not use the olive oil spray for this recipe.
- Follow the two step procedure of shaking the fries with the oil first and then adding the seasonings to the mix
- Do not crowd the baking sheets. Lay the fries in a single layer with space between them.
- Flip about halfway through the cooking process and rotate the cookie sheets from top to bottom and back to front.
- Once browned and cooked through remove from the oven and let sit on the sheets for a few minutes.
- Save the salt for right before serving. Sea salt is by far the best.
These Easy Baked Sweet Potato Fries are so delectable with so much more flavor than your average white spud fry. Put the ingredients on your shopping list and make you and your loved ones a real treat!
This post was originally published November 8, 2017 and was republished March 4, 2019 with new content.Print
Easy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Easy Baked Sweet Potato Fries are french fried cut pieces of sweet potato coated with a perfect blend of smokey spice. The end result is mild but flavorful.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: side
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into about 1/3 wide inch fries
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste after baked
- Soak the cut sweet potatoes in cold water for 45 minutes. Drain well and dry with paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In large Ziploc bag add canola oil and sweet potatoes. Shake to coat.
- In small bowl mix cornstarch, cumin, black pepper, garlic powder, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle seasoning in Ziploc bag with potatoes and shake to coat.
- Place potatoes on cookie sheets coated with nonstick spray; leaving space for heat between the fries. Bake for 15 minutes. Turn and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Keywords: sweet potato fries, fries, sweet potato recipes, french fries,